Dang it, I'm Deaf....

The worse thing that can happen to an audiophile, I'm totally deaf (technically profoundly deaf) in one ear. It all happened in about one year's time. My retirement plans for getting a huge statement system are gone with my hearing. So, I went ahead and got a cochlear implant but it is not the same as a hearing aid, it's a last resort for those that have no hearing. I can't use it when listening to music. Fortunately, my other ear is pretty good. So I experimented with my system today. I ended up with both loudspeakers about 3 feet apart and sort of favoring my bad side. It's working out pretty good. I get some hints of depth but of course no wide soundstage. I'm also experimenting with mono vs stereo. I've had the music on for most of the day.I think I'll still be able to enjoy my music but in a slightly different presentation. 

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else with single sided hearing loss has any tips? 

128x128russ69

I've been deaf in my right ear since I was a young child

So this isn't a new or recent development and have never experienced listening to music any other way

When doing critical listening I do not face the speakers

If I do, the sound is left channel dominate and I find myself wondering if the right channel is even working

I sit with my left ear facing the speakers and able to enjoy full stereo sound and hear both channels evenly

When I made this discovery, I'd estimate that the listening experience was improved by 50% and found that actually listen at lower volume

I don't know the science or audiology for rhyme or reason, I just know that's what has worked best for me

Try Homeopathy.

I lost 70% of my left side hearing. And I got it back in about one month after treatment.

All this after 3  months of Western Medicine that did not work, I had nothing to lose.

Do not give up!

There's a pretty good movie on Amazon called Sound of Metal about a drummer who loses his hearing and finally settles for a cochlear implant. It's a pretty sobering perspective from a guy who loves to drum.

i will add you to my prayer list. I know the dealer who helps the guy in the video. A super guy - Eric at Gig Harbor Audio. The mono idea has merit as does an omni. I had some hearing challenged clients long ago that all seemed to gravitate and love the Shahinian Obelisk - for what it’s worth.

Best to you

Jim

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, Russ.

I have hyperacusis, which is the polar opposite of your condition. It's sensitivity to high frequencies that can cause migraine type pain.