MCINTOSH MC601 VERSUS PASS LABS X350.8

Hello everyone

Have a pair of  Mcintosh MC601's mono blocks  power amps and thinking about to replace it with Pass Labs X350.8 or X260.8 monoblocks or maybe replace just the C500 pre amp.  Keep it the Mcintosh or replace it with the Pass Labs? Thanks for any comments.

Here is my system

MCINTOSH MC601'S 

MCINTOSH C500 PRE

WILSON AUDIO SASHA'S 1

TRANSPARENT AUDIO REFERENCE G5 SPEAKER AND INTERCONNECTS CABLES

OPPO 205, ESOTERIC DV50

zorro

Zorro-

I have had the following McIntosh SS amps,

MC150

MC300

MC501 (monos)

MC601 (like yours)

I was a Mac guy for years until I bought the Pass XA60.8, then the XA 100.8, and then the XA 160.8. Once I heard what Pass did better than Mac (which is most things), all my Mac gear went on the block. Pass amps are more articulate and transparent without being bright, and throw a wider soundstage with better separation of instruments. I am certain you will find the same. Note that now I have a Coda Model 16 and enjoy my system even more. Do not even bother with Pass preamps, however...they are anemic and soul-less beyond describe. Odd, I know.

Good luck and happy listening!

My question is can you audition? And then if so, how does it sound to you?

I had a C2600 and MC302 pre/amp section and my initial plan was to buy the MC462 to get more power.

Over the last few years, I’ve heard impressive amps from Audio Research and Moon and since I had a Moon DAC that I could trade-up and get full credit on the 390 Pre-amp & Network player I decided to compare McIntosh to Moon.

• Base case - McIntosh MC2600 with Moon 280D with MC 462
  • Option 1 – McIntosh MC2600 with Moon 280D with Moon 330A
  • Option 2 – Mcintosh MC2600 Moon 390 with Moon 330A.
  • Option 3 – Moon 390 with Moon 330A

I preferred Option 1 over base case, so I decided to listen to Option 2 and preferred it.

Then I compared Option 3 and I liked it over the base case and Option 2.

My initial description of the system was the Moon removed the veil from McIntosh – there was more details and space in the sound. It was comparable to my speaker upgrade of Sonus fabers from Sonetto V to Olympica Nova V.

Ultimately, I went with Moon M400s, so I acquired to 650-watt mono blocks for less than the MC 462.

I encourage you to listen – you have nothing to lose because you get to enjoy music!