SET the best?

Is SET amplification where we should all end up? I keep reading posts where people tell of their journeys from plenty power to micro power, and how amazing SET amplification is 45 set 211 set 845 set otl, and usually, ....with the right speaker. I have yet to read of anyone who has gone the other direction from SET, to High watt beast class A amps or others.
If your speakers can be driven by minimal wattage, is this the most realistic, natural sound we can achieve? versus say, 86db sensitive speakers and a 1000w amp?
Is the end result solely based on speaker pairing? circuit? tubes?

I am in the process of changing my direction in my search for realistic sound, just because, and wondering if this really is the best direction to be going.
From what I have been reading I think it may be.

What do we get with SET? What do we give up?

What's you favorite color?
hanaleimike

What I doubt you will see is a DavidLouis VX8 Mark2.

Not gonna happen.

When I see a  manufacturer with Mark 2, Mark3 new upgrade versions... begins doubts.

Fostex is famous for multiple offerings.

Many of Voxativ's models just don't make any sense at all.

AER has Model A, B , C. each with 2 versions..

To me thats all confusing.

The only Full Midrange that seems to make sense is the DavidLouis, 

1 model, 2 sizes.. 

Choose W6 or W8.

Even Tang Band can't seem to get it together. Dozens of  models. 

Why???

I was refering to general charachertistics f the 845,

. I’ve read good things about the 2A3,, then here we read the 845 is simply gorgeous. Another comment likes the 300 as driver stage tube,whereas my tech says avoid 300B in any part of the design. He has no sympathy for the 300B, and yet some big manufactuers employ the 300 as driver tube. I guess as with all amp designs everyone will have his particular preferences.

@mozartfan You’re making my point. Its not the tubes, its the transformers. IMO the tubes are all sounding the same- they have similar linearity. But the output transformers vary dramatically!

I have a set of Coral Betas you can have for the cost of shipping. One of the drivers has a damaged voice coil. These are the drivers in Coral cabinets with the passive radiators.

tubes are all sounding the same- they have similar linearity. But the output transformers vary dramatically!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m  SO

glad you posted this Which confirms my exp in PP amplifaction with various tubes. EL34 KT88 KT120. I mean they might be dif in sound, but not by any significant margin,, l

ets just say a miniscule nuance..and this applies also to KT150 KT170 Nuance,, but with the wrong speake, all squashed to zero nunaces. I figured all SET tubes are only going to be variations on a SET theme. = nuance dif. Nada mas.

My frends pure cobalt trans, adds something special. But again, out of production and very expensive,, = not doable/practical.

Back to reality.

Z6/Z11. Not bad. So where does this lead us, if we can’t get the real deal Cobalt Dream Trans??? Speakers. Here’s where we can pick up ,,or lets say,, here is where we can elevate the SET amplifiaction to its magical pure linear Powers. Which is why I hammer non stop about the super high value of a FR (= Full MidRange Speaker) assist system. Why assist? WEll as we all know well, SETs tend to roll off both ends the spectrum,, No big deal.. **whaaaaaa???* you demand to know. WEll yes, No big deal. I am not going to explain why its no big deal as I have already explined no less than a dozen X’s around here,,and I want to get back to my music in the other room. btw I may pass on the Beta.s had you said, a pair of Beta 8 in good condition,,yeah I’d take you up, Those go for $2k a pair in excellent condition.. But I kknow the DLVX8 match if not pass up the Coral Beta 8.

To say 845 sounds similar to 300b or any other SET is nonsense. 845 plate voltage nearly 1000V vs 350v with 300B means everything. Power supply 845 massive, 300b baby in comparison. Certainly, transformers extremely important, but these two tubes and amps very different animals. Both 845 amps I've been running for many years sound similar and unlike my 300B or 2a3 I ran some years ago. 845 tube has unique requirements, results is unique sound qualities.

ahh yes, the magisterial  845 tube, has held me facinated for decades, 

Now afforadble, with the newer chinese designs,  still its the weight factor, as you mention. Getting up in age limits mobility.

+ one must consider heat factor, which if I did remain here in New Orleans, in a  small room, get the idea....heater in 100++ degree heat???

= Your *special requirements*