How do you determine that a DAC sounds good?

When initially searching for a new DAC and ultimately finding one that sounds good in your system, what steps do you take? How do you ultimately determine whether or not a Digital To Analog Converter sounds good in your stereo?

128x128ted_denney

No, it’s not a joke and I am serious. My system consists of Dutch and Dutch 8c speakers and a Lumin U1 mini streamer. There’s a pretty good chance now D&D will release the firmware for Roon by the end of the year or January since they have been confirmed as Roon Ready. When that happens the Lunin is going to be pulled. As a side note I haven’t the slightest idea what DAC is used in the D&D and it’s not really important. There are numerous reviews of this speaker including Stereophile class a rated if you're in to that sort of thing. Stereophile does show great measurements for these as well. You don’t listen to DACs you listen to speakers.

I’ve noticed with the Dutch and Dutch I prefer less room treatments some of those have been removed. When I get my room exactly how I want as a "tweak" I'm thinking of having Mitch Barnett create some FIR filters for roon. If you really want to tweak the sound try those not DACs and wires, fuses and other goofy stuff.

By sending it to ASR for measurement and review then using the inverse of their results. 

Hi Ted,

What as pleasure it is having you on the forum. I've never had the pleasure of owning any SR products but I've come close a few times. I'm going to buy a few of your new Purple Fuses this month, I've heard great things about them. Regarding your post I need or want a DAC to be just a DAC, no streamer, headphone amp etc. Then I'll compare for several days against a reference.

@cindyment  I'm very surprised that you're not calling Ted a blaggard and snake oil salesman since you don't believe cables have any sonic effects whatsoever you just measure their resistance with a multimeter. He must be the Devil incarnate in your eyes.