Weiss 501 DAC

Anyone running the Weiss 501 as preamp/DAC straight into a power amp or active speakers? How does it sound? Thanks
celtic66

@lordmelton Musical Fidelity is owned by Heinz Lichtenengger

The CEO and founder of the coveted Pro-Ject Audio Systems brand, Audio Tuning are truly independent - keeping Musical Fidelity firmly within the audio industry, avoiding the loss of another precious brand to an investment group or faceless multi-national corporation.

The OP isn't asking about bang for the buck, but I suppose it's an inevitable consideration...

The top Holo DAC ($5800+ shipped, as of today) plus a decent network bridge (say a Lumin U1 mini at $2100, a Bricasti M5 at $2500 or an Auralic Aries G1 at $2900) puts you well into, or even well beyond, the price range of some excellent US and European-made DACs. Such as the Weiss.

The Weiss has a great streaming function built-in. Holo/Denafrips do not. Bricasti, Totaldac, Meitner, Sonnet to name a few offer *network-capable* DACs at a price point that is less than or not far above a top Holo/Denafrips DAC that adds a quality separate streamer.

Most of the N.A./Euro names above (not Weiss and not 100% sure about Meitner, but certainly their flagship brand EMM Labs is) are also *upgradeable* so you don't have to sell your DAC or streamer at a loss when further digital advances are made. So in the long-run, are the non-modular, non-streaming Chinese DACs actually a better value?

In the end, find the gear that lets you enjoy your music the way you want to enjoy it, and it'll feel like money well-spent. I just don't buy the cliche that these Chinese DACs are really cheap, and N.A./Euro stuff is way overpriced. One needs to look at the real prices, features, and upgrade (or not) capabilities before jumping to conclusions. And of course listen in your own system to how they sound...

@metaldetektor Oh sorry bang for my buck was 12 grand US for an Aurender N20 I could have spent more and gone for the N30 but I'm happy, very happy with the N20 and it's a one box solution which I like.

If you think I'm cheaping out good luck to you with your Roon and Nodes and other assorted shite.

I'm a best quality guy and if that comes from wherever I'm on it,

Thank you very much.

@jerryg123 

When you start mixing in ignorant politics, I lose patience and interest.

Over and out!