How to tame a bright system?

Hi all,

I have been facing a problem, the brightness of my system:

Bluesound n130  --- Chord dave ---- audioquest fire (xlr) ---- Etude  ---- copper wire ---- B&W 606s2.

The brightness shows up, particularly after I upgrade the cable from the chord company clearway (RCA) to the AQ fire (XLR).  AQ fire really improved everything. However, the high frequency is too cristal to my ears (especially the "ding, ding" sound from the piano, I believe most of the people would love it but not me .... ).  I like the cheap clearway, but it does not have the excellent bass and the dynamic offered by fire. I also tried with AQ Mackenzie (copper) which gives a proper sound but lacks space. I also found the vocal of fire is a bit forward (I am not really big fun of forwarding vocal).

Can someone help to recommend a cable that has everything of clearway but more dynamic and extension at the low end? I think this would be an ideal cable for my current system.

If possible, please help to focus on the cable rather than the other components. I know there is a lot to improve, but not at the moment.  Thanks a lot guys!  ;-) 

tension255

The cliche is true: the room is 50% of your system. Maybe more.

Agreed!

Hi Tension255,

Its easy to say to switch the speakers to a less 'bright' model. But then you need to have an appropriate amplifier to match those speakers, and so the cycle begins.  So I understand that you are looking to tame a system that is brighter through the use of cables.

Have you looked into adding some tweaks into your system?  Some tweaks such as vibration control will help tighten up your bass, which in turn can bring out more of the midrange frequencies.    Power cables can do this,  as can upgraded speaker wires and interconnects.  Power conditioning as well.   I like tweaks, especially the more reasonably priced ones, because they all can add up to an improved overall sound, and you can take them with you when you upgrade.

I recently added some Bybee Technologies Quantum clarifiers to the bass drivers of my Von Schweikert VR1 bookshelf speakers, which definitely improved the bass response and clarity. Better soundstage, and smoother and more air in the higher end. They are 2" square units and you simply attach via magnet to the rear driver magnet. $200 a pair for this tweak, and you can take it with you if/when you upgrade.  I have a bigger one on my amplifier as well - an Antique Sound Labs KT88 based integrated.

What kind of speaker stands are you using, and are they weighted down?  These can make a difference as well. 

I find that if you improve the bass response, you'll have a more balanced sound, because you will be bringing out more of the lower harmonics and transients of the music.   Hope this helps.

Quad 57’s are a good option. I’d see if someone has a pair for sale that they would be willing to let you audition. If you still have brightness while listening to the 57’s, then it’s something other than the speakers.

@ditusa  +1

@unreceivedogma +1

If you know that all music that we are listening to is mastered in a control rooms that has invested lots of money (sometimes in a ratio of 20% gear an 80% room treatment) in threating their rooms than it is IMO a no brainer were you have to look for in your own listening environment first. But for practical reasons for lot’s of us it is not really possible to rebuild our room but guess what we have DSP which requires no room treatment at all an can produce a Hugh improvement IF measurements are done correctly which is for the average Joe a pain to accomplish i guess (thats why i use Mathaudio Room EQ a simple free solution that even i can manage).😅

Chord Etude amp?  Dump that.  George Meyer AV located in Los Angeles area, who is an authorized repair center for Levinson and Krell, and other top notch brands is selling a killer Mark Levinson ML-27.5 amp that's been fully gone through - meaning recapped.  That ML-27.5 is super smooth, dynamic, open, clean and clear up top.  It's a touch dark up top but that's just a Madrigal characteristic before they were sold to Harmon.  That Levinson will solve your problem with a bright top end.  You'll kick yourself and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.