Perfect Pop Songs

Those with the kind of music, lyrics, performance, arrangement and production that you could easily repeat all day.

How about starting with this one? Somewhat outside of her usual cannon and none the worse for it. Perhaps also a contender for the sexiest vocals ever?

Louie Louie  by Julie London
cd318
Agreed @rvpiano, that song defines Pop. Carole and Gerry wrote a lot of fantastic songs, including the astounding "Halfway To Paradise", recorded in the 1980's by Nick Lowe, a great version.

Like Captain Renault, I'm shocked, simply shocked.

How could I have forgot to mention perhaps the most perfect pop record ever cut?

If there's anything wrong with this then it's beyond my comprehension.

Shelley Fabares - Johnny Angel US no 1 1962

[Pardon the poor sound on this colour video but there are versions with far better sound availabile].

https://youtu.be/OnEmeOUmjVk

So many good songs already mentioned. Here's a few that always make me spin 

del amitri "Roll To Me"

Db's "Neverland"

Rheostatics "Claire"

Cars "Just What I needed"

XTC "The Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead"

Great one @cd318! I have "Johnny Angel" on a 7" 45 (one of my first), and again fall in love with Shelley every time I hear it.

From roughly the same time---and also performed on the TV show he was appearing in at the time of it’s release---is "Young World" by Ricky Nelson. This perfect Pop song also contains a perfect guitar solo by the great James Burton, the obvious model for George Harrison’s solo in "Nowhere Man". Compare the two.

Also from the early-60’s are the amazing run of hits from Roy Orbison, including his biggest, "Oh, Pretty Woman". Best use of an Orbison song in a movie: the scene in Blue Velvet in which Frank (played to creepy perfection by Dean Stockwell) lipsynchs to "In Dreams". VERY disturbing.

The Everly Brothers also had an incredible string of perfect Pop song hits, most written by the husband-and-wife team of Felice & Boudleaux Bryant. "Bye Bye Love", "Wake Up Little Susie", "All I Have To Do Is Dream", "When Will I Be Loved" (already mentioned above), "Let It Be Me" (done by Dylan for his Self Portrait album), "Cathy's Clown", and "Love Hurts" (recorded by Gram Parson and Emmylou Harris for Gram's Grievous Angel. Good, but the Brothers' version is great).