Mc 240 vs. Prima Luna

Good morning all, hope everyone is well and ready for the holidays. 

I may need someone to talk me away from the ledge. (fairly normal state for me these days).

Story is this. I have been saving to add a second McIntosh 240 to my system. I have one now that does a fine job powering my Klipsch Heresy IV's. It was recently refurbished by Audio Classics in Vestal NY. (by the way, can't reccmomend them highly enough, especially Ryan).

Anyway, I'm getting close to being able to pony up for the second 240. Plan is to bridge them in mono and have 80 WPC effectivly. 

However.... I have been reading much about the Prima Luna's. Modern.. Warm... ability to roll several tube types.. sweet mid, good low end..

Do I stick with my original plan, get the second 240, (built in the US, tank like construction, known sound and cool factor).

Or do I chase the neat new shiny Prima Luna's ?

Any thoughts are welcome..

Doug

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433

Klipsch speakers and McIntosh amps are a fantastic pair. I say go for the MC240 and run them mono. I run my 275's mono and love them. 

Here is something I would try if I used horns, I don’t. Not because I don’t like them. I just had to make a choice on what I was going to use. I went with domes 50 years ago and small planars/ribbons 30+ years ago. I haven’t tried a bridged Mac on your speakers. For all I know it might sound great..

8-84" of push pull ribbons drivers don’t sound so good though. I might have spoken out of place.. Do a listen on a single speaker bridged at 80 vs a mono or stereo at 40 watt, they sound different (stereo vs dual mono vs bridged). I’d try it series and paralleled but stick to one speaker.  I’ve done it both ways with a 275 it does make a difference for high frequency ser vs par and clarity with spl..

A MC275 with a healthy PS will push a 1 or 2 ohm load. You can fry eggs on them too. BUT they keep on running as long as you keep a fan on them. I’ve seen Macs keep on driving Infinity 9.0 Kappa and only get hot, when other amps were dropping dead like flys with that speaker. Krells, Mac SS MB, Mac MC23 or 2500 Threshold, Pass, Modded Son of Ampzilla and a Mac MC275 no problem.

Regards

@oldhvymec makes some really good points.  The MAC tube amps bridged to mono never sound as good as they do in stereo. Have tried it myself several times with a 240, 225 and 275. The Klipsch are pretty easy to drive. As far as the PL amps go, would also agree with the other posters, not was warm sounding as the MACS. 

What the original poster may want to consider to spending the sum on powered subs, and let the MC240 handle the midrange up. 

@oldhvymec 

I am now curious what my system would sound like if I used my one of my MC275 amps to power the lowers on my speakers and one MC275 to power the mids-highs in my speakers. It might be worth trying this setup to run the MC275s in stereo instead of mono since my horn speakers can be bi-amped. I can’t try it for two weeks though. 

I would sure give it a try femoore12. Just so everyone knows, I do NOT use valves to run bass. 300hz and down is SS.

80hz and below is normally GR OB servo subs

100-300hz is direct coupled to 12k class Ds and 6, 8" mid bass drivers per column and I use a 2496 active XO.

300hz up is all valves and I use a hybrid line source of 8" Monsoon planars and normally a single Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. I use a lot of their drivers. They have a great AMT too.

I do have one system I listen to when I’m in my work room. MC225, MX110z, Sony ES777, Thoren 124 and a pair of tricked out Infinity RS4bs. That system is old as dirt, but the system I listen to most of the time.. The only place I use tubes for bass and it is the smallest Mac (25 wpc) I own. it’s funny. Sure sounds good.. It’s actually my favorite for itty bitty, Just don’t tell anyone.. LOL

Regards