Finally Learned: Subs serve much larger role than adding more low bass

I sold my older powered sub a while back. reasons-

1. It did not integrate well.

2. I was pretty satisfied with my 2 speakers bass output.

3. Was big, heavy and ugly.

After traveling around the counrty and listening to home systems put together by people who know their way around the industry I realized they all have something I did not. A well integrated bass array.

So what does a bass array add to a 2.0 system?

This is where words fail but I will try:

-Increased Involvement in the listening experience

-More enjoayble sound stage

So if you are like I was, a sub denier, I suggest you try one small

sub, as I did, and see what you experience. My $500 REL T5x experience

did it for me. Now I will buy a second one.

chorus

These days, on the odd occasion that I have someone over or when I am discussing my setup with someone, I will mention that I have five subs. Invariably, they will make a comment about how my home theatre surround sound must sound awesome. I then tell them that actually only one sub is for the home theatre and the other four are for listening to music.  They are dumbfounded until I explain about how things actually work.    

If you like one sub, you will love four.

Getting 1 or 2 subs that integrate well with your system after having a boomy sub meant for home theater gives you an appreciation for what subs can actually do for 2 channel stereo.  In a small room you can get away with one good sub.

I'm an outlier apparently.

I had two JL Audio subs with their fantastic CR-1 crossover and also added DSP.

Nothing life changing.  Didn't do much for me.   Didn't find the added low bass to be significant and I preferred the tonality of my speakers without the subs.   Sold it all.  Happier with fewer ugly boxes in the room, fewer cables, less hassle etc.

(Great products...I just didn't need them to enjoy music).

I too am a subwoofer convert. I bought a REL S/812 last year and couldn’t be happier. One thing I also notice as it was mentioned many times in this thread, is that the sub also enhances the SQ of mid & high frequencies. I never understood how this works. I always thought if you set your crossover at let’s say 50hz, the sub only outputs sound at frequencies below the crossover.

Can someone help explain in layman’s terms why a sub can enhance the SQ of frequencies way above the crossover point?

Thanks very much.

Post removed