Subwoofer cable question

I want to run a Rel sub from my integrated amps "pre out" and the sub has only 1 "low level" and  the "lfe" input. Do I need an adapter from stereo to mono or do the low level and lfe inputs on the sub act together as left and right input?

emiliop

Here is the facts if you really want to know. There is a left and right channel for a reason. The RECORDING has a left and right BASS TRACK. If you use only a left or only a right from your source as the signal to your subs, HALF of the BASS track is NOT THERE to listen to.

Below 80hz the waves are so long separation is impossible, BUT you still have to play BOTH left and right to get the entire recorded piece. Unless it’s recorded in MONO and mirrors the bass track to both left AND the right, you had better use both left and right source signals IF you want to hear the WHOLE recording.

LFE is a combo of left and right bass tracks with a step baffel bump of +3-10db at 40hz and below.. AT THE SOURCE, not the plate amp.. LFE to LFE works great in HT more so.. Bombs exploding and really loud FARTS..

I say KNOW your equipment first, before using only HALF the signal that’s supplied to your subs as a signal.. It’s not only important to use left and right it’s important to know WHY!!!

With great respect and Regards, your welcome..

@emiliop

Then normal speaker cables go from high level out on sub to main speakers?

No. You leave the main speakers connected to the amp and piggy back the subwoofer cables from the same connections There should be a red, yellow, black wires. Red to one channel + Yellow to the other channel +. Then black to either ground. There is a Neutrik end which attacvhes to the subs high level

There is a difference in the type of amp that drives the mains too. You wire thing different so you don't hurt the REL amp too.. I think it's class Ds or no third prong on the PC.. I was just reading it a couple weeks back..

Regards

Even now after years of clarification still we have members sharing misinformation. Please do a search and read through all the excellent factual information provided by myself, Tim, Duke and of course the research papers by Geddes, et al. These all make perfectly clear the fact sub bass is not directional, there is no "ambience", it is not stereo, and the one sure way to better bass is not to have a bigger more powerful sub but to have it coming from more locations.

If you rely on comments at least filter them to eliminate the ones who don't know, because they never actually did this stuff. For example, I know subs are mono from having run multiple subs every way imaginable. Stereo, mono, L channel, R channel, one, four, five, in phase out of phase all kinds of phase, on and on. Every time you see someone talking about stereo bass, timing, anything like that, do not take it at face value. Dig deep to see where that is coming from. Almost always it is repeating what someone else said, without ever once trying to see if it is true or not.

Do your own due diligence, please.