Cary Audio SA 200.2 SE power amp (latest version)

Hey there,

I need some advise and opinions on something. My current setup includes : Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g (latest generation), Classe Sigma Amp2 class D power amp, Classe Sigma preamp, Cary Audio CD 306 SACD player.
My speaker cables & XLR balanced analog interconnects are Cardas Clear Reflection. Power cables : Shunyata Delta NR, Transparent Reference PowerLink MM1, Audioquest Blizzard, Shunyata Venom V10 NR (20 Amp / C19) from wall to my Shunyata Venom PS8 AC power line distributor. AC power line distributor: Shunyata Venom PS8 with Venom Defender.

I’m about to pull a trigger on the new Cary Audio SA 200.2 SE power amp (latest version) to replace my existing Classe Sigma Amp2 class D amp. The Cary is a class AB amp. Which amp do you think will be a better choice for my system? Have anyone compared these two amps before and what are your thoughts? My Monitor Audio Gold 200 5g speakers (latest generation) are very laid back warm smooth refined sounding speakers. The highs and mids are very smooth. These new MA Gold 200 5g are complete opposite sound profile than the previous MA Gold 4g series, which are very forward and somewhat bright. And I’m using warm sounding speaker cables and analog XLR interconnects throughout.
Your advise, inputs and thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dilatante

@dilatante 

I turned on my amp yesterday morning and let it run about 10 hours with no music playing, then played music during a normal session of about 2 hours.  During the day (no music playing) there was a faint buzz that would sometimes change to a faint hum -- audible from up to 2 feet to less than 6 inches with the grills off (it fluctuated).  It was never audible beyond 2 feet during the entire 12 hours, and usually audible only within 1 foot .  So no, it never increased during under these conditions. IIRC about 20 years ago I had a Parasound amp that was humming and one side of the amp was noticeably warmer than the other.  Parasound repaired it under warranty but I don't recall what was repaired.

@yowser

If the buzzing/humming are in both speakers then you might have a ground loop issues. In my case it’s only in one channel (right speaker) and that says something. I will experiment more by disconnecting the XLR interconnects from my Classe preamp to the Cary power amp and see if the buzzing/humming goes away. If it goes away it means that it isn’t the power amp, it’s somewhere up the chain. But I never had any buzzing/humming issue with my Classe Sigma Amp2 class D power amp. Or perhaps class D amp isn’t as sensitive to noise as class AB amp? Who knows?