Bookshelf speaker with electrostatic sound

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for an efficient bookshelf speaker for my second system in living/dining area. About 3,000 cu. ft. Vaulted ceiling goes to 14". They will sit on top of 12" deep bookshelves, about 6' high. They'll be used primarily as background music at low to moderate levels.

I've had various electrostatic/tube systems for 30 years. I like the open, quick boxless sound from electrostatics. So naturally that is my reference. I realize I can't replicate that sound in this application, but I thought it may help with recommendations.

Tonal accuracy and balance is important, especially at low to moderate levels. No rolled-off or excessively bright treble, or overemphasized bass or treble for affect. Rear porting or emphasis on porting for bass will probably not work. I'd like to avoid speakers that exhibit nasal qualities. Not interested in speakers that demand really good amplification. I deal with that in my other system.

Initially they'll be paired with Onkyo TX-8555 receiver, but I'll consider a small integrated down the road, tube or SS. Just want to keep it simple for casual listening. Source is radio and digital. Prioritized music tastes are classical, jazz, folk, blues, rock, alternative.

Budget: Less than $1,000.

Thanks!

Scott
sschmidt
I 2nd the Green Mountain Audio speakers. (Especially since I'll be selling my Callistos in the next few weeks,,,LOL!)
Post removed 
Gallo reference Stada's. Out of your price range new and some people find them ugly and/or weird looking. However, in your price range in the used/demo/closeout because every body finds them ugly market. Another to consider is the Sunfire CRM-2, but they require a sub.
Having owned both, the Gallo's are better.

You're going to have a real hard time finding a box speaker that sound like electrostatics. Believe me, I have tried. I have Maggie 1.7's in my sitting room system and Martin Logan Summit X's in my main system. Your going to want to stick to a box speaker that uses a ribbon tweeter. Some say that the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter sounds like a ribbon. Sorry, no, been there, tried that. Don't get me wrong, the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter is good, but no ribbon. I've been through about 2 dozen speakers in my office system, including such names as B&W, Kef, Triangle, Von Schweikert, and the Gallo's are the best yet. The problem with the Gallo's is the incredibility low Wife Acceptance Factor.

BTW - I drive the Gallo Reference Strada's with a Wadia 151PowerDAC Mini which is only rated at 25w/ch. Source is a Bolder modified Squeezebox touch. I also have a tiny Pinnacle Subcompact6 subwoofer to fill in the last bit at the bottom end. The entire system is incredible compact and musical.
If you didn't mind going vintage, Allison Four or Six speakers would work in this application too and can be had for pretty cheap. You'd likely need the woofers refoamed, but they're designed to go against the wall and have an open sound with very wide dispersion. Not terribly efficient, though.
Another thought, if you are really lucky, you might find a pair of Soundsmith Dragonfly monitors with the optional ribbon tweeter upgrade. I've never heard them, but the reviews are exceptional. There was a pair on A'gon last week for $775 without the ribbon tweeter.