Measuring Turntable Platter Speed

I have an older Rega P2 that seems to warble (for lack of a better word) when playing. It's not that it's fast or slow, but I can hear slight, quick, pitch changes when playing a record. I put a new belt on, but no change.

Is there a method or relatively inexpensive instrument that I could use to monitor small fluctuations in platter speed?

Thanks in advance - Jim S.

stilljim

Thanks guys/gals.

audioquest4life - If I read the literature correctly it measures average platter speed which doesn't address the small fluctuation problem I perceive. 

big_greg - Nice suggestion. I might try the platter, but he stroboscope is a quarter of the price of  a new P2. So I don't know. 

I was just trying to confirm what I am hearing is actually true. You never know, faulty hearing, big imagination?

Jim S

The Clearaudio has groove that tracks the cartridge and its drag on the record 

to give you a more accurate reading

A strobe device may miss what you're trying to identify. The other devices mentioned would be even less likely to catch it, in my opinion. Best would be a Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner but that's too costly for this use. Your ears are free.

Your trying to measure WOW. A strobe test will tell you speed only..

Blow all the dust and crap out of the motor first.

Remove the belt and spin the platter. If you see the platter come to an abrupt halt after a spin you found your problem. If not it’s the motor and it need to be lubed and cleaned.  Make sure the bushings are not wore out and the armature is making contact with the field coils or to much end play. It’s only one or the other. The motor or the spindle. If the spindle well is full of crap, clean it out service the shaft and change the oil. It should spin for 100 years when it’s clean AND burr free.

OH WOW, NO WOW... Boo Boo.

Just a guess though.. :-)