Decision: keep the Project Classic or buy into a Linn Axis?

Greetings from Germany!

I might need some help to decide my next steps into vinyl. :) Currently I use a Project Classic with an pretty old AT-F2 cartridge, which is connected to an Atoll IN200 Signature with its P100 Phono Board.

I ran across a Linn Axis with Akito 2 tone arm and a semi damaged Benz Micro Glider cartridge (the needle is a little crooked, fix should be around 100-200€ at Benz themselves). The player was recently maintenanced during which the Elkos have been replaced.

So, the question is: should I move from a rather newish Project to an rather oldish Linn with a better system? I’d need to spent an additional 150€ to get the Axis.

Thanks for your feedback!

Andreas

andlum

I don't as a general rule recommend making baby steps. Not with components. Especially not with turntables. If you really like the Linn a lot more and are pretty sure you will for at least a few years then yes, go for it. Otherwise, if it is only a little bit better then I would look to improve things like the rack or base the turntable is on, better isolation like the very affordable and effective Nobsound springs, or other things of that nature.

I'm an original Axis owner since 1988. I love the sound of this table, so much so that I had it refurbished by a Linn service tech about 2013, 14. I would be wary of buying an old table without knowing its history. The safe bet is to keep the Project and do some upgrades.

The reason to be wary of the Axis is due to the lack of available parts for service. The motor is attached underneath and is one of the vulnerable parts. There are no more to be found. A motor would need to be harvested from another Axis. If the seller can verify that the service on this unit included more than a recap, then it may be worth purchasing. 

Back when it was first introduced there was very little difference in sound when compared to the LP12. It still has the Linn family sound.

If the seller can verify that the service on this unit included more than a recap, then it may be worth purchasing.

Thanks for your recommendation. The bill of the repair actually says: "complete revision, all caps changed. player fully adjusted". Price was 250€.

What should have been included from your point of view? I would like to ask the seller if that has also been done.

I am getting the feeling i should fight the GAS here. :)