Streaming 101

I know nothing about streaming and would like some feedback. All I have is a laptop running windows. Is there a one box way to do everything? I have an older SACD player and don't think I can access its DAC.( Esoteric X-01 D2) The rest of my setup is pretty evolved so I would like something commensurate without breaking the bank. Internet radio is something I would really like to be able to access. Excuse my ignorance, most of the music reviews I read about these days seem to be unavailable to me via my turntable or CD player. Thanks.

joeyfed55

If I go streamer and DAC will I need a server? As I say, I’m clueless here.

No. If I’m you I’m looking hard at an Innuos Zen Mk3 (or Zenith) as it’s an excellent streamer and you can easily load your CDs into its server’s onboard memory through its own CD slot. Couldn’t be easier.  Or, you can mess with separate hard drives, streamers, integrating them, etc. and figure it out on your own. If you don’t like dealing with computer hardware/software issues then Innuos has it all done for you. Best of luck.

Thanks, after speaking to a knowledgable friend I think I'll investigate a Bluesound Node 2 and see if streaming is something I'll want to pursue. If I do I can get a seperate DAC later. 

You’d probably be better off looking at a Bluesound Vault as it’ll allow you to load your CDs into it, but at your budget I think you’re better served by something from Innuos, FWIW. 

One can run Roon on a computer or a dedicated NUC.
I am leaning towards that once I get all the CDs ripped to FLAC.
Then I am looking the Topping and March Audio DAC which can be fed from a USB from the computer or NUC.

But also the Lyngdorf I got has a Roon endpoint, so I may skip a DAC.
And Roon also does the streaming interface.

Hopefully some clues ^there^ will provide some options.