Warm Sounding Speakers

I set aside my Krell 300Si integrated amp (150WPC - 8ohms, 300wpc - 4 ohms) in favor of more power for my Maggie 3.6's.

I liked the Krell but did think that it was a bit sterile sounding.

My thought is that it might sound better with warmer sounding speakers.

I iam interested in suggestions of speakers that might mate well with the Krell.

Please and thanks!

Dsper
dsper

05-27-12: Timrhu
Actually, they were Kestrel Hot Rods but the difference is minimal as far as I can tell. Yes, I have owned both. Johnnyb53, do you have experience with the Meadowlarks?

Yes. I'm not just aping the reviews of the time. I helped an older married couple couple put together their first new stereo in 20 years and saved them from taking their son's advice to get a Bose Acoustimass system. We got a good CD player for the time (I forget which), a Creek 4240 integrated with MM phono plug-in, and a pair of Meadowlark Kestrels, version 1, not hotrodded. They were about as good as you could get at the time for $1K, the tonal balance (in the sweet spot) was very good, but in the 16 years since, where I've gravitated to speakers that address in-room power response, I sort of wish we'd looked a little longer or found a way to address that cupped hands midrange when listening off-axis.

I also had some extended phone conversations with Pat McGinty back then--about his design philosophy, values, business model, etc. I probably gave the wrong impression with my post. I was sorry to see Meadowlark hang it up. I thought they overall had a good line,They were ahead of the curve with their 1" MDF cabinet construction and resonance control. It's just that the first Kestrel probably crossed over too high, leaving the midrange to beam for a half octave or so.
I also had some extended phone conversations with Pat McGinty back then--about his design philosophy, values, business model, etc. I probably gave the wrong impression with my post. I was sorry to see Meadowlark hang it up. I thought they overall had a good line,They were ahead of the curve with their 1" MDF cabinet construction and resonance control. It's just that the first Kestrel probably crossed over too high, leaving the midrange to beam for a half octave or so.
Johnnyb53

I don't want to hijack the op's thread but this is interesting to me as I have owned three different pairs of the original Kestrels, one pair of hot rods and two of the standard Kestrels. There was quite an age difference between the standard Kestrels I owned and there was also a difference between the crossovers. I know this because the last pair of Kestrels (oldest by serial #) I bought, thanks to UPS, came with both of the crossovers rattling around in the bottom of the cabinets.
Before repairs, I looked at the crossover in the newer pair of Kestrels to see how they should go back together. I was surprised to note there were major differences in the parts and wiring used as well as the layout of the crossover. The newer crossovers were built to a much higher standard. Of the three pairs of Kestrels, I always felt the newer pair had a bit cleaner sound, a bit more resolution maybe.
Also, the Kestrels are very good when getting up and walking around. They keep that three-dimensional thing even when standing right between them. I demoed a pair of Magnepan 12QRs a few years ago and could not stand how much they change when leaving the sweet spot. This comparison was done with the Kestrel hot rods.
I do realize replacing the op's Maggies with Kestrels is a crazy idea. But if "warmth" is what you're looking for, the Kestrels are great.
BTW, although they were good looking speakers, I did not like the Kestrel II at all. Would never recommend them for sound quality. Of course with any internet advice, YMMV.
Bose 901 might work for you. They sound a lot like Maggies and you can dial in the sound with the dedicated EQ.
Timrhu: I'm pretty sure the Kestrels I heard were some of the first run and that over time Pat improved the crossover and with it, power response and in-room uniformity. They sure imaged like a mofo regardless.
Tannoy get the prestige series add a super tweeter.
Kef are warmish but it depends very much on the model these days.
Big Vandersteens.
Quads (very polite not terribly dynamic)
and the Harbeths which I find very warm and not my style of speaker but you might.
Ditch the Krells and get the New Carver Monoblocks with new or old style tube sound. The old style may be what you want.
OK I am ready -flame away. I personally like detailed speakers and modern tube sound.