Music Servers, Do They Matter?

The Occasional Podcast host Brian Hunter is joined by digital designer and Innous Director Nuno Vitorin. 

In more analog mindset, does it make as much sense to evaluate a separate music server in the same terms as one might consider a cartridge to a turntable? In addition to thinking about the why, Nuno discusses much of the how – including where to get started and what to look for. 

The discussion starts at the very beginning of source material. Listen, learn and hopefully adapt your way to a better listening experience. 

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/03/23/top-talks-music-servers-how-everything-matters/?utm_source...
128x128lalitk
@yyzsantabarbara Yes, I'd say server is right up there with dac in importance. I'd rather have decent dac with quality server vs. general purpose computer with better dac. But really both need to be on general par to one another for best performance. Optical conversion is far better served to upgrade after dac and server optimized.
As a Roon endpoint which is better, an Oppo 205 or ultraRendu with LPS 1.2 and Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC, or does it matter? Unfortunately, I don’t see a way of using the Ayre DAC with the Oppo.

I’m using the Oppo 205 with a NAD M22 amp to drive KEF LS50s, but I preferred the sound of the ultraRendu complex with an Ayre A7Xe integrated. Is it server or amp? One channel of A7Xe is out and it has no provision for subs, so I plan to replace it with the Parasound JC2 preamp and JC 1 monoblocks I have.
@dbphd I'd be shocked if the Rendu/Ayre wasn't best of these options. A bit of a stretch but when I owned an Oppo 105, a microRendu crushed it and I'm sure the QB9 will do the same vs the Oppo's DAC. YMMV. 

Side note, the JC1s will be a mighty beefy combo driving the small KEFs. Shouldn't be a problem, but certainly more power than you need...Cheers,
Spencer
sbank
JC 1s are what I have, except for a few Proceed Amp 2s.  My preference would be to use an Ayre KX-5xeMP preamp I have with an Ayre V-3 amp, but I haven't found a V-3 for sale.  I think I'll use the ultraRendu, LPS 1.2, and Ayre QB-9 DSD as the Roon endpoint.