Have you moved away from full range to standmount speakers + subs?

I want to know if you have been on a journey moving from a large full range speaker to a smaller one paired wit subs, maybe even four subs.

Maybe you moved away from the big speakers because you had too much bass or you got a better soundstage from the smaller speakers. Let me know what motivated you and if you think it’s better now.

My motivation for wanting to try smaller speakers.

I have the Tekton DI and until a month ago I was using a LM845P SET amp to drive them.

It only sounded good on simple jazz and vocals but on complex music everything was falling apart.

I am not playing loud but I think it was the low 2 ohm load in the midrange that made the LM break down.

I bought a used PS Audio BHK250 and pre and it was like getting new speakers. Never ever had it occurred to me that speaker and amp matching could have such a profound effect.

So I am enjoying my speakers now and listen to music I have avoided like the plague and enjoying it (:

But all of this got me thinking, what if I paired my LM845P with an easy to drive speaker and paired it with some subs?

Then the LM845 could do what it's best at, playing glorious midrange and the subs could play the bass.

So that's my motivation for trying smaller speakers.

I am also hoping that maybe I could get better and more even bass with 2 or 4 subs. Maybe a better soundstage because the small speakers have a very small baffle.

martin-andersen
Who are you kidding? You Objectivist bullies who largely do not own high-performance high-end stereo systems are NOC.

Yours in music,
Ted Denney III
lead designer and CEO, Synergistic Research Inc.
“For you, a self-professed audio retailer, to both cast shade on a legitimate end user, and a legitimate manufacturer while you shill the brands you sell, is not only transparently self-serving, but also highly actionable given the fact you are in the same industry as I. Just understand, I am watching you, and I will deal with you legally if necessary. “

YAWN ……. Unless of course you are mulling upon Filing for Legal Guardianship in order to provide moral guidance and a good home to the delinquent scamp ?

Hmm, Synergistic Research threatening legal action on an internet forum because you get your undies in a bunch...

Another name to add to my "Even if they have the best product in the world, they'll never see a red cent from me." list.

Just like the guy from Tekton, no class.
I will never forget sitting unobtrusively in the Synergistic room at RMAF almost ten years ago after a couple attendees told Ted they did not hear what he suggested they hear. When they left his best curse words came out to describe them to another guy he knew in the back. I was stunned. I literally have never forgotten his obscenities.