Better CD Sound: The Search

Went Big into Vinyl last 2 years, then re-discovered my many CD’s, mixing it up plenty now.

I continue to try and find a CD Player with better sound than my existing cheapo Sony Changer that surprisingly keeps on keeping on.

I am hoping recent upgrades to the system will more readily reveal differences:

99.9999 copper speaker wires and interconnects, locking rca connectors, mx110z tube tuner/preamp overhaul by Audio Classics; cayin a88t bias by VAS; 16 ohm L-Pads replacing 8 ohm pots; and finally a I bought a sound meter to balance/refine the speaker’s L-Pads (it ain’t easy) for the best sound ever.

CD Quest So Far:

I want dual processors, go used to keep cost down, even consider older vintage.

1. my Onkyo Grand Integra (DX-7500 I think), fixed the damn drawer opening problem several times.

2. This cheapo Sony Changer given to me, eh, use if for parties, why not.
surprisingly sounded as good as the Onkyo to me and friends, gave the annoying Onkyo away.

3. tried used Oppo 83 Video Player for it’s audio

Laser was weak, ’no disc’, found it is a common problem with heavily used lasers. Back it went

4. lightly used Oppo 105. Everything worked, but didn’t sound better than the Sony. Oppo is big, single, expensive, not sellers fault, so I sold it myself rather than return it, lost $205. on that attempt.

5. ’new original stock’ KLH (made by?). played a few discs, then the discs started mis-tracking on discs I know are ok.

found small black bits clinging to the surface in the area of the problems (cds play from the inside out, just guess how far out). Turned out, the belt(s) were dried out, thus when put into motion after years of storage (where?), they shed bits of rubber. Back it went, full refund including return shipping. never compared it to the Sony’s sound

6. Resolved: if vintage, make sure belts are available, get a low price, open it up when it arrives, watch it move ... use, replace belts, return as last choice.

7. Just Bought Two, in transit, One Single; One 6 Disc Changer. (both with oem remotes and power cords, most for sale are missing).

a. Denon DVD-2910 Single Player (big dent on the top. $52. del’d, eBay) (crutchfield keeps old info on their site)
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-6TIPMQKBMUZ/p_033DV2910B/Denon-DVD-2910-Black.html

b. Onkyo Integra CDC-3.4 six disc changer (open box/demo) ($51. delivered) (bserplus.com)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_164CDC34/Integra-CDC-3-4.html

c. a bag of belts. because I will be keeping something, and I have other old stuff with belts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334135204014

d. spare rare OEM remote for Integra 3.4, eBay

Keeping My Ears Crossed!

elliottbnewcombjr
elliottbnewcombjr
Very cool that you can work on CD players. Which Brand(s) are your specialty?
Happy Listening!
jafant

I can only work on the mechanical: parts, belts, brakes, tension adjustments, renew lubrication that has turned to glue ... Not the electronics. I don't even know how to use my ancient Multi-Meter.

I overhaul my Reel to Reel Tape Players, that sort of thing. I used parts from two non-working Mitsubishi LT-5V Vertical Turntables to have 1 winner and some spare parts. Both are in my office system shown here

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9511

This Denon: I downloaded the service manual: I am confident I can disassemble, disconnect the ribbon cable and switch the laser assembly and get it back together.

New lasers are also available for the Oppo 83, but the disassembly looked too complicated, so I returned it. This one, if I return it, it remains dead which is a shame.

A smart man would return this Denon. Part of me wants to 'beat the system' or still 'win my bet' I suppose, and keep a good thing going.

Like your style Elliott....I rescued a Technics SL-1900 bought on the cheap and it is a joy to play.
Seller gave me the credit and I just ordered the Denon 2910 laser, it's in Florida, be here by the 9th, possibly sooner. Wish me luck!

Meanwhile my office computer fan went bad. Luckily I have identical computer in HT (idle since TV's got smart), switched fan, found a replacement fan, be here by the 9th

What else is on the verge?
Integra Update:

I told Paypal Norton said beserve.com is Dangerous, blocked the site

Paypal gave me a full refund.

Meanwhile, bserplus info to Paypal: shipped via USPS yesterday with a tracking number.

USPS says 'out for delivery' last evening from Avenel, NJ not far from me.

A Halloween Mystery.