B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
There really isn't much choice locally. There is one audio repair shop and that is really it. I would have to go to Dallas or Kansas City to hear any higher end audio equipment and I doubt under those circumstances I could really tell much about what i would be hearing. For me, I need to A/B equipment before I can tell much about it. Even if something sounded good there I would have no idea how it would stack up against my equipment at home. My plans are to take the suggestions here, check out the amps best I can, then make a decision.
Dave 72,

I found a Pass x350 for sale about a hundred miles from me. However, it is not a .8 as you suggested. What do you think?

Wemfan, hopefully you could sense I am a big fan of products from Nelson Pass in my 1st post on 3-29-14. As far as the X350, this is one of the original "X series" introduced, then came the "X.5 series", with the "X.8 series debuting in the last few months. It will be very doubtful to find a "X.8 series" used, and new in the desired power will exceed your stated budget. The "X series" are definitely quality amplifiers, however most agree the "X.5 series" have a lot more musical magic in the midrange. Here is a good review for the Pass Labs X250.5, with the 2nd paragraph noting some differences to the original "X series" design, and definitely read to the end as he rates it above similiar priced amps, and somewhat equal to one much more expensive. IMHO, I would try to find a "X.5 series".

As far as my previous recommendation of the Forte amp, I was thinking of this to get something quickly that would sound good with enough power. Then have more time to look for something like a Pass Labs. The Forte amps are usually an easy sell, however the one I linked to does seem to be priced somewhat high, but I'm sure he's factoring in the recent service by Jon Soderberg, the absolute best for Threshold/Forte.
Wemfan
If pursuing Pass Labs I highly recommend talking to Kent 5308785350 prior to any actual purchase.
He is very friendly, knowledgeable and forthcoming with the information.
I was curious so I gave him a call.
Told him we were considering using an x.350 on 801 matrix in a room 29x29x11.

Some of the speakers currently being tested with at Pass Labs are Sony's SSAR1, Array 1400 and TAD - did not catch the model # of the last one.
When I mentioned the matrix 801's some comments were

"you mean the boxy ones with smaller boxes/pieces on top of one another"

"those were very highly regarded and not difficult to drive at all"

He quickly put the impedance info and room size into his online model.

the amp info I got from him.

x350 was designed around an 8 ohm speaker.
the more current product 350.5 is based on a lower 6 ohm speaker.
the x350 does double down but it does not like it (Kent's words)
Distortion increases. Similarly it would produce half the power at 16 ohms.
He suggested that the x250.5 which is also based on a 6 ohm speaker would be a better choice than the x350.

The 801 matrix as we saw in the impedance graph - dips to 5 ohms in the bass and HF areas.

The rough estimate from Kent is you should be able to hit 105 db peak levels in your room with the x350.

Cheers
Tis49,

That was a good review on the x250.5. That guy was certainly high on it. I will read some more about this amp and seriously consider it. Reading that review sure made me want one and I would be willing to pay $8000 for such a great amp.

CT0517,

So, two votes for the X250.5? Think there would still be some new ones out there? Thanks for calling Kent and sharing what he had to say. So, if it turns out to be a Pass the X250.5 will be it. I don't buy audio amps often so I want to acquire something that i am going to really enjoy for many years to come so, of course, let's up the budget. How about the $10000-$12000 range. From what I can tell in the audio world that really isn't all that expensive and i would like to be under that but I am willing to go that high to get something I am really going to enjoy.

I would also like to consider tube amps. I really like my MC275 through my Klipchs but they were not a good match for the B&Ws. How about something like the MC601s? I like the idea of having mono amps. The stereo amps can get quite heavy. Should I consider Conrad Johnson or Audio Research? Bryston has been suggested and what I have read about them has all been good.

I don't think I will even try the local Krells. No telling how old they are so they may be close to needing service and $4k for them or few thousand more for newer technology and more time until service would be needed sounds like a better way to go to me.

What would you now suggest with the new budget?