DAC Shootout Starts This Weekend

Okay...in another thread I promised to do a side-by-side evaluation of the Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap vs the Rockna Wavelight. Due to the astonishing incompetence of DHL this has been delayed. At the moment, I have a plethora of DACs here and am going to do a broader comparison.

I am going to do a compare of the Rockna Wavelight, Rockna Wavedream Signature, Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap, Chord Hugo 2, Chord Hugo TT2, Bricasti M3, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Weiss 501 and the internal DAC card for an AVM A 5.2 Integrated amp as a baseline.

For sake of consistency, I am going to use that same AVM integrated amp driving Vivid Kaya 45s. I may branch out and do some listening on other speakers (Verdant Nightshade of Blackthorn and/or Wilson Benesch Vertexes) but want to use the Vivids for every compare as they are the fullest range speakers I have here. For sake of consistency I will use a Chord 2Go/2Yu connected via an Audioquest Diamond USB as a renderer. The only exception is the Hugo 2 which has a 2Go directly attached to it. I will use a Roon Nucleus+ as a server in all cases.

My plan is to use the same five songs on every DAC; In a Sentimental Mood from Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, Be Still My Beating Heart from Sting, Liberty from Anette Askvik, Duende from Bozzio Levin Stevens and Part 1 of Mozart String Quartet No 14 in G Major from the Alban Berg Quartet. The intent is to touch on different music types without going crazy.

I will take extensive notes on each listening session and write up a POV on the strengths of each unit. I am going to start this this Friday/Saturday and will be writing things up over the next month or so. If you have thoughts, comments or requests, I will be happy to try and accommodate. The one thing I am not going to do is make the list of songs longer as that has an exponential impact on this and make everything much harder. If and when other DACs come in on trade I may add to the list through time.
128x128verdantaudio
So I have the Questyle and Khadas here and they are getting burnt in.  I did a little testing with them and am going to add in the need to evaluate the headphone amp. Specifically I will test the Khadas, Questyle, iPhone 6 since it has a headphone jack, Hugo 2 and Weiss using a pair of Focal Celestee Blues and ThinkSound ON1s.  

Secondarily, the Rockna Wavedream Edition is here and that will also be give time to get acquainted.  

Regarding the Holo May, everyone says it is great but until I get one in, I have no POV.  I have also not heard the Musetec.  

I have a Holo Audio May KTE dac in my main system and a AudioByte Hydra Xox dac I plan using  for headphone listening upstairs den though waiting for the third part of this digital stack the AudioByte Hub.
Both dacs are well run in and with direct comparisons in my main system they are both exceptional performing though there are differences of course especially when listening for human timbre using exceptionally recorded vocals,  the AudioByte Vox out performs the May KTE Dac every single time I have demonstrate this to audio friends . 
I simply ask what sounds more human , more live and realistic to your ears the AudioByte Vox is picked every time .
The Holo May outperforms the AudioByte Vox with the 3D like portrait sound stage and much better separation and with a few hundred dollars apart either dac should be pleasing to your ears. 
Finally both dacs do a very good job along with the other components of keeping your room warm , very warm .

@in_shore Thank you for that compare.  That is super helpful!

I just finished testing the Rockna Wavedream Edition.  This happened to be the SE but the only difference between the SE and the XLR is a fully balanced (and therefore double) circuit.  Thus the price differential.  

Like all Rockna products, the image projected is extremely wide.  This unit has a surprisingly high level of detail for it's price point ($6500) but that should be more reflective of the fact that it is a simplified DAC compared to its true peers in the ~$10K price range.  This lacks a renderer (Weiss) or renderer option (Bricasti M1) and since it is single ended, only offers RCA outputs.  The XLR at $9500 is more comparable  

That being said, it is a middle ground between the Weiss and the Bricasti M1 SE.  It is essentially as neutral as it's big brother, the Wavedream Signature, but with a hair less detail  Separation of the drum rolls in In a Sentimental Mood isn't quite as good as The Signature or the Weiss.  Soundstage isn't quite as good as Bricasti M1SE.  

The opening of Duende has great separation but a Tony Levin's very speedy notes weren't quite perfectly separated.  The soundstage and nuance you look for in Liberty was flawless without a touch of sibilance.  Same for Be Still My Beating Heart.  No massing of strings at all in the Berg piece and it remained intimate without getting too big.  

The compromise on this unit is the absolute level of detail and it fits very neatly between the M1 SE and the Weiss 501/502.  The SE is tonally between the Audiobyte and the Wavedream in the lower tier, but delivering the TT2s detail level.  

Questyle and Khadas to follow.  
@in_shore,
Thanks for sharing your listening impressions of the two DACs. Does the Audiobyte DAC superior timbre and realism apply as well to acoustic instruments (Or just human vacals) ? That’s a coveted attribute.
Charles