Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Rvpiano, melm, and jim204, thank you for your suggestions. Either digital, used or new, or vinyl new would be fine. I’ll search out all your suggestions. Maybe I’ll have to get a couple of versions, one in either format.

Mike

Update: I found a $2.50 "Like New" CD copy of the Dorati on Amazon and ordered it. That 49 cent "Very Good" copy was still available, but now I’m feeling like a big spender. I’ll look into the two vinyl versions Melm suggested next.

I like piano but also all plucked strings instruments...

My last discovery is a master of highest order on guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPecRFP17o

I listen to his stupendous Russian guitar album... and i will go with his other albums if i can pick them...

A great guitarist can play guitar like you never listen to it ever...

Jimi Hendrix, Grant Green or Joe Pass, or Segovia or Julian Bream and many others gods...

Investigating Indian guitar players is also one of a threat to our notion of the guitar playing...

And because it is a classical thread i invite all of you to plunge in the marvel of Paganini guitar works....

Sometimes beautiful only music work better than a deeper one...
Paganini is not Bach nor Scriabin, but a god in his own way....
Dervoed is a bit deep for me.

More important is him coming to the truth that Humans need Nature 
to be what they are.
I live in a large city but there are trees , flowers, waters and large parks all around me, 
I need just to walk out the door,
Last night  I saw 3 deer on my walk , I saw 4 wild turkey 
hunting the worms coming out after this morning rain about out my window  an hour ago .

Praise Creation !

All the Baltic Lands have been noted for their Choirs since time immoral .

This one in the Lithuanian Capital is a favorite of mine and, God Willing,
I hope to be there and St Saviour’s in Riga, Latvia at Easter time .
This is the start of a Sun Rise Mass,

https://youtu.be/carPlb8SbY8

A  small Latvian Church Choir .

https://youtu.be/TrLcNdL3CuQ