I'm a Dummy, Tell Me About Turntable Mats

Turntable mats seem to be an inexpensive way to improve a component, but the thing that gives me pause is that as I understand it, you put them on with adhesive. Is there a possibility that a turntable would be damaged by a turntable mat?

If it's relevant at all, the turntable I'm thinking of using a mat on is a Sota Comet III bought used.
heretobuy
I use a Stein music mat on my MMf-7.3...it is a super thin mat and causes no issue with VTA. To me, it sounds great...it ought to at $249!
Also have the Origin Live mat, but have not used it yet. I  originally had, actually still have, the original Ring Mat. It is also a great mat imo. Lastly, I have several leather/suede mats from Hide in the sound, they are a nice economical mat.
On my Technics mk7, I am using a KabUSA glass platter mat combined with a technics thin rubber mat...also have a Herbies mat for this table.
I purchased a Clearaudio Ovation on the used market. The platter had some minor cosmetic damage so I purchased the Oracle mat which has has an adhesive to place over the Ovation platter instead of purchasing a new Ovation platter (3x the Oracle price) very happy with the outcome.
If your goal is to absorb all resonant energy from the LP, then you want a platter surface and/or a mat that most mimics vinyl in its physical characteristics.  For that, Delrin is a good choice.  But other materials work too.  However, if it was as simple as absorbing and dissipating resonant energy in the LP, then everyone by now would have agreed that vinyl-like materials are indisputably the best.  As you can see, this isn't the case.

In my own opinion, you have to try a variety of different mats made of different materials, and then decide for yourself.  I daresay, the same mat might affect the sound of one LP differently from that of another LP.  Worrying about that would be a nightmare.
I have the following mats, Funk Achromat, Soundeck, Herbie's Way Excellent II, and some of the stock mats that came with my tables.  When I had my VPI Classic 2 I didn't use a mat.  Same with a couple of tables that had acrylic platters.  I can't tell major differences between them. 

The only one that I tried that had a significant impact on sound was a deerskin mat that I saw some people raving about.  It made things sound kind of dead.  I don't recommend it.

I wouldn't worry about the adhesive.  The Achromat mat has adhesive, but I doubt I'll ever take it off.  The Herbie's mat is kind of sticky, but no adhesive.