Tornado and Thunder Power Cables

Hi all,

I am going to be upgrading my power cables for my preamp, 2 channel power amp and 5 channel power amp and I have chosen the following power cables to use in my setup:

1m Tornado(source)- preamp
2m Tornado(high current)- 2 channel power amp
1m Tornado( high current)- 5 channel power amp

In terms of bringing the cost down, if I used a 1m Thunder power cable for the 5 channel amp instead of the 1m Tornado(high current) would I be missing anything sonically by not using a Tornado HC power cable? Does anyone in the forum have a similar setup or are using a Thunder HC power cable as well mixed with the Tornado power cables? If so, what are your thoughts? Would it be better to just keep it all the same brand of power cable consistent or is there a huge sonic difference between the two power cables that would warrant me to stay with the Tornado HC power cable for my 5 channel amp?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

2007audioman

2007audioman
Hey OP, another typical cable thread. My advice is to ignore most replies and try some different cables at various price points and hear for yourself, in your system. The cables do make a difference and should be considered along with other tweaks to enhance the performance.

It is also to be noted that members who proclaim in their first sentence " I am an electrical engineer" and go on to deny, probably without ever trying some cables, that there can possibly be any difference, are to be regarded as inexperienced in matters audio.

I see the EE above suggesting room acoustics and correction software.

This I totally agree with and encourage. A properly treated room will do more than any tweak or component swap, however room correction to me is a band-aid.

This band-aid is of limited value if any. Sure it can radically alter the sound but is it better? The reason for room treatment is all about reducing overly long decay to a certain level within a certain time frame which is dictated by the volume of the room. For that absorption is needed. Room correction software can not anticipate and reduce the decay and fill in the nulls resulting from cancellation. Consider that if you drive more power into a null it will just cancel with the same power.

Last bit of advice, promise 😁   Any room  treatment you consider adding and which I thoroughly recommend should prefereably be done first as you may be for example trying to tame a bright sytem by using 'warmer' cables etc. which will take you in the wrong direction. Room first will also allow you to better hear and choose the best for the job.

I have Hurricanes throughout my system and can't say enough good things about them.