What comes after Harbeth 30.1s?

A few weeks ago, I created a post where I was asking for advice to help a family friend create a home office system on a $6-7K budget. He ended up buying a VTL I-85 integrated amp which he really loves. After searching for speakers, he really liked my Harbeth M30.1s. He eventually bought my speakers but was going to pay in October. Unfortunately, he has had some unexpected expenses and won’t be able to pay me. So the speakers will be back in my possession next weekend.

The problem is that during this time, I started researching my next set of speakers. Of course, a safe bet was to stick with what I know and buy another pair of 30.1s whenever they pop up in the used market. Now that I will be getting them back, I’m still wrestling with the idea whether I should try something different. At this time, I’m only looking to buy used and not spend much more than what I can sell the 30.1s for. And to be honest, I will only be switching for the sake of trying a new flavor. I really like the 30.1s and something tells me that I might come to regret the decision. This speaker does pretty much everything right for my tastes and music preferences. Okay, if you put a gun to my head and force to me to share just one thing I wish was better, it would be a more airy presentation and little bit more open on the top. But otherwise, it’s hard to find fault with this speaker.

My room is 12 x 13 with almost 20 foot ceilings. Just like my friend, I’m limited on positioning options -- I can only pull out the speakers from the front wall by a foot at most. Another restriction (spousal commandment) is that I have to sell the 30.1s first to obtain the funds for the next purchase. So I won’t be able to buy something else, compare, and resell the one I don’t like as much. Secondly, I only want to buy used and well-known brands. The idea is that whenever the next upgrade itch strikes, I should be able to sell the speakers without losing more than 10-15%. And the final (whew!) restriction is that I have to be able to drive them with a tube integrated amp. I’m planning to buy a Qualiton a20i next month. This is the smaller brother for a50i which I also own.

So what do you guys think? Is this an ill-conceived, wrong-headed idea? Feel free to talk me out of it :)

If not, I would love to hear from people who have moved from 30.1s to another speaker in similar (or lesser) price range and are happy with their decision. An obvious next step is to move up to 30.2, but I’m not sure if it’s worth paying an extra $1000 or so. Or maybe it is that much better? C7ES3 is another option, but I fear it might be a little too much on the warm/lush side with difficult to tame bass especially when placed so close to the wall.

Another speaker I would love to try is the Fritz Carrera BE, but again I don’t want to buy new and I don’t see them in the used market that often. I know they have a 30-day return policy but that’s not the point. Knowing myself, I would probably end up selling them after a year or two, and don’t want to take the depreciation hit.

Proac Response D2 is another option, but I fear that it might be too forward for my taste, especially in a smaller room. If someone owns one and disagree, please chime in :)

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice!

128x128arafiq
I'd say the IB, MB, etc. style lines probably the closest (not saying the same), followed by the Twenty line. To me the Fact and Twenty5 lines hewed much closer to the "modern" sound espoused by so many manufacturers these days.
[please excuse my bad English][I read attentively your initial request, but I did not read all the member’s answers dut to lack of time].
Given your constraints, I think it is pretty simple:
"I’m only looking to buy used and not spend much more than what I can sell the 30.1s for. And to be honest, I will only be switching for the sake of trying a new flavor. I really like the 30.1s and something tells me that I might come to regret the decision."

- if the new ones MUST NOT be more expensive than the M30.1s => keep your M30.1s (moreover, you like them)
- else, if the budget can grow a little => buy the M30.2 Anniversary 2nd hand. Terrific, but not easy to find 2nd hand.

"So I won’t be able to buy something else, compare, and resell the one I don’t like as much"
"... switching for the sake of trying ..."

=> M30.2 Anniversary are the less risky option.

I think it is as simple as that.
@arafiq If you like/love the 30.1s, I see little reason to go down the rabbit hole of finding replacements. Rather, I'd invest in acoustic treatment for your room. Have a look at GIK products; send them an email; they can recommend treatments to logically address the improvements you're seeking like treble response and imaging. These are massively affected by reflections from the walls and floors and ceilings.
i think it is a good point made that if one is fundamentally not unhappy with a setup, or a set of speakers, it is often wise to stand pat, try to optimize placement or room acoustics

but part of the hobby is becoming too enamored with the gear itself, always curious to try to new (to us) and not appreciate what is in front of us at present -- i am as guilty or more guilty of this than most
Hi Arafiq

Ditto the addition of a quality sub(s) and Professional DSP as a great leap.  TAS Andrew Quint on the Audiovector R1 Arrete's can be found online.  A well executed Air-Motion Transformer tweeter two-way in a room your size could be one and done.  What great low bass can do for the overall sound, ditto an extended top.  DeVille and JanZen loudspeakers also come to mind if budget allows.

More Peace, Even Order harmonics, ALL!  Pinthrift