Using solid state rectifiers on Cary SLI80 Amplifier

One might wonder why experimenting with such a high performing amplifier as this SLI80 Signature is but I would like to try this to see if doing so will tighten bass and/or percussive sounds from things like drums and piano. I’ve tried raising the bias above the Cary recommended 75mA and the sonic difference was significant but, because the higher resulting voltages to the tubes would be continuous while operating, Cary recommended against it primarily because of predicted shortened tube life. I’ve taken their advice and adjusted the amperage down to 80 from the 90mA that I was trying. Now, based partly on Cary’s having switched to solid state rectification in their newer amps, I thought it made sense to try it on this older amp and need advice concerning exchanging the tube diodes with solid state replacements. What I’ve learned from several sources is that the resulting instantaneous power to the tubes and power transformer could cause damage or, at least, blown fuses. Without adding circuit protection that delays the impact, does anyone have experience with this modification or insight otherwise. I do have a variac to lessen the initial impact of this experiment if I decide to do so.  Thank you. 
128x128broadstone
A SS rectifier will have less voltage drop and will cause a rise in the B+ voltage. The bias voltage will also be affected if it is not already regulated. Plus the fllter caps will be hit with a turn on voltage surge if there is not already a slow turn on relay in place. 
A good idea to increase filter cap life if they are not protected by a B+ delay relay is to replace the 5U4 with a vintage original 5AR4/GZ34. These have a slow warm up time and don't slam the filter caps like the 5U4 and other rectifiers. Plus the slow warm up lets the heaters  reach optimum temperature before B+ voltage. This is beneficial for power transformer life.
I'd forget about using SS rectification and just change to an original 5AR4/GZ34 - not new production!
@oldhvymec: the 866 is a mercury half-wave rectifier tube. It must be warmed up first before any B+ voltage is applied! Otherwise it can explode! Anyway two are needed for full-wsve rectification.
oldhvymec: the 866 is a mercury half-wave rectifier tube. It must be warmed up first before any B+ voltage is applied! Otherwise it can explode! Anyway two are needed for full-wsve rectification.

I run two 866a's in my super rectifier, it has a standby switch for preheating. They do not explode, they can arc over if not preheated for about 1 minute if they have been in circuit,  and if they haven't been in circuit they need about 30 minutes warm up.