Considering ditching 5.1 for a soundbar; suggestions?

I just built a basement room meant for both TV/media and 2 channel listening. At first I thought I'd split the room and have my two channel at one end, the TV and 5.1 system at the other.

I'm having second thoughts. The room is about 27 feet long and 16 feet wide, and if I divide it, then the most I can get from the front wall for my two channel listening is about 12 feet. Feels a bit cramped.

If I do decide to put everything on one wall, I really need to get rid of my 5.1 system and go with a soundbar and sub — for movies.

I know soundbars are not audiophile things, but I'm wondering how many of you bit the bullet to economize space, ditched the 5.1 and what did you get as a good soundbar? I'm thinking I could spend up to $1k. (I would cut my losses by selling my Klipsch R/L and Center channel speakers.)

128x128hilde45
Post removed 
@riley804

The hope is that there will be a further renovation to the whole house. In that case, the TV will move upstairs and I’ll have the whole basement to myself. If that happens, there certainly won’t be a 5.1 in our living room.

I have to live with the decision of selling the ht gear; I also have to live with the decision of NOT selling. (WAF, in my case.) It’s an ancient Greek dilemma in 21st c. trivial form.

@ml8764ag
Great to know. I have a Klipsch sub, wired. Could that be hooked to a Klipsch soundbar?

@tvad
Thanks so much for weighing in. I think I agree with you. The content of what we watch is so good — so engaging at the level of meaning — that we need to hear a reasonable spectrum of tonality and clear dialogue. We want there to be a soundstage but we don’t need helicopters circling our heads. No disrespect to those who want the "movie" experience, but we can live without that Disney ride.

Re. “Great to know. I have a Klipsch sub, wired. Could that be hooked to a Klipsch soundbar?”

I dont know for sure…but doubt it….and …(at least for me) would defeat my goal of eliminating wires and clutter….I also think that many good bars already come with a Bluetooth connected sub….making it a moot point if needing to purchase sound bar anyway.
FWIW, I’ve a soundbar and wireless sub in an upstairs room and it’s reasonably good for TV.