cassettes CAN sound better than vinyl.

cassettes CAN sound better than vinyl. with a good type ii and a Nakamichi CR-7
leemurray2007
Some time back I had a brand new Nakamichi DR-10 at my place. It was the first Nakamichi I had ever used. I recorded a CD to a Philips Chrome cassette. The cd player was an, Audio aero prestige capitol. To my surprise the cassette identical to the CD playback in a AB comparison. It had a hint of tape warmth, else it was the same. No loss of detail, extension or dynamics. DR-10 is an entry level Nak. It was a good revelation
Ahhh...yeah... a cassette, regardless of pedigree, is by definition going to be inferior to its source (check the specs).
And yes, having worked in numerous studios (CHML, CKDS,CHMR and more) AND working for Retailers (almost ten years) who carried Nakamichi, TEAC and a wide variety of the rest (Technics, Luxman, B & O, Pioneer etc...) back in the 70's and eighties I had the opportunity to compare the various tape formats of "The Day". Open Reel tapes, especially, "Originals or commercial copies" are the best. Next, CD and Turntables (roughly even) and cassettes, being copies of the originals, are always my last choice (but great for portability).
This is not to say cassettes sound bad... just don't compare them to what you copied, on a highly resolving stereo... it may lead to cognitive dissidence :(
I don't think the OP is 'dreaming' at all. Back in the '80s and '90s, I made some magnificent sounding High Bias/UDXL2 cassettes that were way more clean, punchy and dynamic than anything I would have had to put the time, expense and effort into getting off of vinyl. How many thousands did you have to spend to get rock solid bass you'd get off of a high quality tape? That went anywhere.
Same for reel to reel, though you obviously couldn't take that everywhere.
I just think there are a number of posters who are letting a romantic BIAS and allegiance for vinyl, possibly the most difficult format in audio, lead your thoughts.
Post removed