Mono cartridge recommendation

Ok, so tomorrow, my TNT will be getting a new baby brother.  I'd like to get a mono cartridge for it, my budget for now is up to $1K, less is better but not strictly necessary.

I'm open to MC, MI, or MM carts, but I generally prefer MCs. My Herron VTPH-2A can handle pretty much anything. I also have a few SUTs too to play around with. 

I tend to gravitate toward extremely neutral cartridges, so that's a consideration. I know everyone's system is different and will have different opinions on what constitutes neutral.

I have a couple of tonearms of various masses, so matching shouldn't be an issue. I've seen ATs, Hanas, Ortofons, and a few others in that range, but I don't have an opportunity to audition any of them before purchase.

My system:
Phono preamp: Herron VTPH-2A
Preamp:  Balanced Audio Technology VK-30SE
Amp:  Bryston 4B SST2
Speakers Magnepan 1.7i
Among other things...

I'm hoping the collective intelligence of the group will help me find a good match. So, what are your impressions of various mono cartridges in this price range?

vinylzone
Elliott, Yeah, that was the first thing I found when doing research, but I considered it a done deal if I could win the auction for what I was willing to pay.  I haven't met a Lyra that didn't sound great to me.
I listened to Miles Davis Sketches of Spain, last night.

Incredible Gil Evans arrangements, full Jazz Orchestra; Miles's incredibly varied tonality, timing breath/volume control, in front, with and behind the other musicians. 

Afterword, I read Nat Hentoff's album notes: every doggone word is true!

http://albumlinernotes.com/Sketches_Of_Spain.html

So, this thread, that experience, now I suspect I will get a alternate Mono cartridge with advanced stylus profile, perhaps Shibata for amazing modern mono recordings. Thanks OP and others for moving me in this direction.

That album actually sounds amazing played in Stereo Mode by a Stereo Cartridge. The album says 'Guaranteed High Fidelity', never actually says MONO, and small print at the bottom:

"IF you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity".

It spreads out like a Jazz Orchestra, without any of the weirdness or 'extra noise' a stereo cartridge can make playing older mono lps.

I could be wrong, but I think SOS is an original stereo pressing. Hence the advisory note that you quote. It’s divine regardless.
There was a CL 1480 (mono) and a CS 1480 (stereo).  Most labels that put out stereo that early had to put out a mono because the most of the mono equipment back then couldn't do the stereo (no vertical compliance).
The Lyra Helikon Mono got here a day early, and I was able to mount it at lunch time today.

My first spin is is an original 6-eye Miles Davis Someday My Prince Will Come, CL 1656. Absolutely stunning.  Huge amounts of detail and realism.  Very neutral across the spectrum.  Tight, deep bass.  Everything sounds right so far.  I'm looking forward to rediscovering much of my mono collection, which up until now only got occasional play.