Luxman 590axii ventilation

Question for other class A owners out there. I’m keen on picking up a Luxman 590axii but my placement is limited to a cabinet shelf with an open back/front with about 1” of clearance above the amp. I can add some ventilation holes to the shelf above, but will be limited by a center channel speaker sitting on that shelf. Am I asking for trouble with a class a amp?

thanks!

t
trentgordon
@trentgordon, The Luxman 590 axii is a class A amplifier and get hot (hot and not warm).   This means the amplifier needs ventilation and should not be placed in closed cabinet.   I suggest at least 6" (maybe more ?) of clearance on all the sides and the top.   As noted above, a small USB fan could be used.  It is better to be safe than sorry.

The Luxman 590 axii amplifier is an excellent sounding amplifier so maybe you should consider a new cabinet that provide more space  around this amp.  Just a thought!

If you are unable to properly ventilate this amplifier, maybe you should consider the Luxman class A/B 509 amplifier.    
Hello,
The answer is no. Here is the user manual:
https://luxmanamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/L590AXII_AG00987E42A_en_press.pdf
At the beginning they give a warning of poor ventilation. They do not give the exact measurements. If you do a little scale math it looks like 4” on all sides is the amount you need. Even if you turn it in and listen for an hour you are probably destroying those capacitors. 
There’s a Luxman tech in the U.S. you can call for the advice you’re needing. I spoke to someone named Jeff at Luxman’s Technical Assistance number, 781-608-1044, on the same subject a couple of years ago.

At the time I was constructing built-in cabinets for my equipment and needed to know how much open space to provide around a Luxman L-507uX Mk2 integrated amp. Not a Class A, but still ended up requiring a substantial amount of space over, to the sides, and behind it. Approximating his recommendations I now have 11-1/2 inches of space on either side of the amp, 6-1/2 inches of free space above it and the same 6-1/2 inches behind it. That’s worked out well, so I’m guessing he could accurately provide you the advice you need for a 590AXII.

Mike
Don't see ventilation holes will help if the centre channel speaker sits directly on the shelf.

??Rig an open frame to support the speaker and raise it a couple of inches more.
Really appreciate all the comments here. I’m kinda stuck with the cabinet and shelf per negotiations with the wife as it’s in the living room. I can get to 4” of clearance above, 3” on each side, open in the back and front. Thinking I’ll pickup the 509x instead and run a fan in the back as last resort if it’s running hot. Sounds like consensus is that’ll work.