Luxman 590axii ventilation

Question for other class A owners out there. I’m keen on picking up a Luxman 590axii but my placement is limited to a cabinet shelf with an open back/front with about 1” of clearance above the amp. I can add some ventilation holes to the shelf above, but will be limited by a center channel speaker sitting on that shelf. Am I asking for trouble with a class a amp?

thanks!

t
trentgordon
Assuming the shelf is just a little wider than the amp I don't think that is enough for that amp my friend.  It is almost 300W at idle.

Now, if you have plenty of width, say 5" or more on each side then you could be OK.

The 507 is 90W at idle and the 509 is 150W.  I own the former and I would not attempt a hotter amp with only 1."  I have it on top of a shelf and use riser feet to increase the air flow beneath the unit. 

I checked the manual I have for the 507.  They do not have minimum distances, but state "... do not install the equipment in a confined space such as a book case or similar unit."

Hmm yep I’ve got 2.5” on either side, wide open front and back. I saw that too in the Luxman manual - very specific about leaving an unspecific amount of space around the amp…
I just bought that int amp and will tell you that a lot of heat generates out of the top. Me personally, I wouldn't do it with just 1" of clearance on top. 
Tanks guys. This forum is amazing - answers in minutes! If I redesigned the shelves, how much would be enough? 5”? How much heat does that amp really put out? I’ve heard them called ‘space heaters’ but I only have experience with class AB and D amps. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and no AC, so not looking to literally add a space heater to my living room! Same heat as a fridge or other appliance?  I could go with a 507/509 instead, but I have a line on a good deal on the 590 and the reviews sound incredible. 
Find yourself a 300 W light bulb to find out.  :-)

If your shelves are open front and back, 2-3" above should be enough.
Yes, I've had good luck with an Infinity fan on my Parasound Halo five channel amp. The fans are very quiet. 
I own the L-590. An inch isn't enough, in my opinion. I have 2" above mine, plus open sides, front, and back. I'd like to have more space above it. It doesn't get hot, but more free air would be better.
Don’t forget that the bottom of the shelf above will not be neutral, it will also heat up reflecting its heat down towards the amp.  If you were set on doing it you would probably want a fan of some sort blowing across the top of the amp discharging the heat to the front or back of your cabinet.

Just an opinion, but the manual for the parasound A21+ I had recently recommended 6" all around and it was only around 12 watts (guesstimate, I don’t remember) in class A before switching to AB.

A beautiful piece of gear like that should be sitting proudly on top of the top shelf.  Is it possible to move the center channel?
I’d love it to sit on top, but the TV sits on the cabinet. I think these fans could work though. I could redo the shelves to give myself 2-3” above, then mount one of these slim exhaust fans on the back of the cabinet.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/rack-fan-systems/cloudplate-t1-quiet-rack-cooling-fan-s...

I had a Luxman 590axii with a 3 inch clearance above it. It would get so hot that you could feel the heat just by touching the top of
the shelf above the amp. IMO, you need at least 4 inches if not more above the top plate.

Having said that, the 590 axii is worth the hassle. The best SS amp I ever owned. 
trent, without knowing more, I'm inclined to tell you to look for different cabinetry. Easy for me to say, obviously. It's a stupendous amp, but needs adequate clearance for cooling.
Post removed 
I had the exact same issue with my 590axii. Tried several different “in cabinet” configurations but could never get it right and the unit kept overheating and shutting down. Didn’t want to mess with fans so just moved it to the counter top. Worked fine there of course because it was in the open. It still ran very hot and for that and other reasons I traded for a Sugden Masterclass IA4. Like the sound better and it seems to run cooler even though it’s also Class A. Just IMO.
Post removed 
AC Infinity has been mentioned, but with only 1" clearance you might need the MULTIFAN S2, QUIET USB COOLING BLOWER, 120MM.

I was in a similar situation and the rubber feet can be removed to fit the space (gently extend the upper towers and at the same time pull on the feet). I've not experienced any issues with the feet removed and 100% of the air is pulled through the equipment vents. Two would be ideal.

The CONTROLLER 2 has a sensor and controls the fan speed. Add the  AC INFINITY, BLACK CONTROLLER STAND and it looks great.

I went with the CONTROLLER 8 with four zones as I believe all equipment sounds best when kept as cool as possible.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-usb-fans/multifan-s2-quiet-usb-cooling-blower...

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/cabinet-fan-systems/controller-2-intelligent-thermal-fa...

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/cabinet-fan-systems/controller-8-intelligent-thermal-fa...

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/cabinet-fan-systems/ac-infinity-black-controller-stand/
Have a look at the placement of my L-590AXII.  Previously there was a component sitting on top of the Luxman. It was removed from the rack several months ago.

https://i.postimg.cc/j2Xm0v0N/IMG-20210920-101955.jpg
I can tell you 1" is asking for trouble as I own one. My rack is open on all sides and I used to have about 2 to 3 inches clearance above the amp and it still occasionally went into shut down mode about 3 times in a year.

I have now removed the component on the upper shelf that was previously sitting above the Luxman. Everything is good now and the amp works flawlessly without shutting down by itself. By the way, the L-590AXII is a great sounding Class A amp, a very high quality integrated at its price point which is capable of stellar sound quality when properly optimized with equally high quality speakers, ancillary equipment, accessories and cabling.

Enjoy ~
A cheap temp solution is a small USB fan that pushes air over the top and out.... Until you get the new shelf.... I have the 550ax2 on metal vitsoe 606 shelves... Next one about 4.5inches above. They get warmed by amp but experimented with fan and nada cool to the touch
I have to agree 1" is asking for trouble; if you don't find a way to increase circulation.

Adding suitable fans is like having it out in the open. Can be even better when the operating temperature is reduced.
+1 to paladin. Mount the tv and display the amp where it can breathe and look good…
I own a Luxman 590 AXII and I agree with those that say you need more room for ventilation, especially above. I have mine sitting on top of one of my racks.
NOOOOOO,

and, you will dry out the cones of the center speaker (anything) above it.

I would never add fan noise in my listening space.

Could a pair of smaller mono blocks in 2 locations solve things?
Can you move the entire cabinet forward a few inches.

I built a nearly full size floating back panel for mine. Removable, simply hung on a few blocks I put on the back.

1-1/2 inches clear space between the cabinet back and my floating panel. All edges open for air flow, dark color so you don’t see wires against a painted wall looking thru it. (matte black/brown spray paint would work, I had matching wood)

Then I could cut very large holes in the cabinet back, behind any piece of equipment, lots of air flow, and access to rear panels for wires. Very handy when messing with the equipment.

3rd photo shows the cabinet, you have no idea it’s back has been ’hacked’.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/9511

oh yeah, The whole cabinet is on wheels, wood skirt floats 1/4" above the floor, move a speaker, pull one end out, get to everything.

I just put 4 of these within the cabinet base, the weight keeps them in place

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-6-in-Steel-Tri-Dolly-with-200-lb-Load-Rating-9299/100193474
I would never add fan noise in my listening space.
Would that be a theoretical or practical comment?

Most rooms have higher background noise that many fans on low. If the fans need to on high then the volume would likely mask any fan noise. 
pedroeb

preference

any content, no matter what volume, has quiet passages.

I designed office space for 46 years, and avoided 'white noise' which was a 'so called' solution, rather solved acoustics by design, layout, material's acoustic properties. 

I've had a computer in my video system for a lot of years, (not much use since tv's got smart), the case/processor chosen, the hard drive chosen, and both audio and video from the motherboard to eliminate a video card fan, and put it alone in a space with a lot of ventilation to minimize it needing to activate it's small case fan.

focused listening, I occasionally turn my forced air hvac system off even though the listening room is at the furthest point from the blower, and the vents are at the far end away from me.

I'm not spending all this money and effort getting the system 'better than ever' and listening to anything other than it's magic results.
@trentgordon, The Luxman 590 axii is a class A amplifier and get hot (hot and not warm).   This means the amplifier needs ventilation and should not be placed in closed cabinet.   I suggest at least 6" (maybe more ?) of clearance on all the sides and the top.   As noted above, a small USB fan could be used.  It is better to be safe than sorry.

The Luxman 590 axii amplifier is an excellent sounding amplifier so maybe you should consider a new cabinet that provide more space  around this amp.  Just a thought!

If you are unable to properly ventilate this amplifier, maybe you should consider the Luxman class A/B 509 amplifier.    
Hello,
The answer is no. Here is the user manual:
https://luxmanamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/L590AXII_AG00987E42A_en_press.pdf
At the beginning they give a warning of poor ventilation. They do not give the exact measurements. If you do a little scale math it looks like 4” on all sides is the amount you need. Even if you turn it in and listen for an hour you are probably destroying those capacitors. 
There’s a Luxman tech in the U.S. you can call for the advice you’re needing. I spoke to someone named Jeff at Luxman’s Technical Assistance number, 781-608-1044, on the same subject a couple of years ago.

At the time I was constructing built-in cabinets for my equipment and needed to know how much open space to provide around a Luxman L-507uX Mk2 integrated amp. Not a Class A, but still ended up requiring a substantial amount of space over, to the sides, and behind it. Approximating his recommendations I now have 11-1/2 inches of space on either side of the amp, 6-1/2 inches of free space above it and the same 6-1/2 inches behind it. That’s worked out well, so I’m guessing he could accurately provide you the advice you need for a 590AXII.

Mike
Don't see ventilation holes will help if the centre channel speaker sits directly on the shelf.

??Rig an open frame to support the speaker and raise it a couple of inches more.
Really appreciate all the comments here. I’m kinda stuck with the cabinet and shelf per negotiations with the wife as it’s in the living room. I can get to 4” of clearance above, 3” on each side, open in the back and front. Thinking I’ll pickup the 509x instead and run a fan in the back as last resort if it’s running hot. Sounds like consensus is that’ll work. 
Call the Luxman tech first and confirm that will work before voiding your warranty and possibly damaging an expensive piece of equipment. I was surprised my Luxman 507uX required so much space around it. First time the fan breaks down or you forget to turn the amp off at night you might produce more excess heat than you expect. 
I have the L-509x which is biased to operate 6 watts (8ohm load) Class A.

I have it mounted in an open equipment rack with 4 1/4" clearance above and 4" to each side(but closed off to the left and right by flanking Sorice glass door cabinets for LPs).

As an experiment, I put a free standing dial oven thermometer over the right side vents, middle from front to back.

After playing the unit for 3 hours, the dial reads 99F.

Just fyi....

You need a quiet but stong fan.  Otherwise you are being very adventurous. 
I just demo'd the L509x.  It was positioned in open on a mono amp stand, but even after operation for over an hour it was warm but nowhere close to hot, I'd almost call it only slightly warm.  Now obviously in a shelf that will change, and worse in a cabinet, but I was thinking it would be warmer than it was during that demo even though it was out in the open
Best scenario as other has alluded to is to have that unit wide out in the open with maximum ventilation / aeration.
besides seeing it in its full glory is half the pleasure. It doesn’t deserve to be encased in any such way.
I say keep the 590AX II and MAKE IT WORK even if it means a general reconfiguration.

Class A all the way!