Question on Denon DL-103 retipping options and preferences

I have been looking at getting a Denon DL-103 retipped and I have narrowed it down to getting it done by Steve at VAS or by Andy at Needle Clinic. 

Both companies approach to the DL-103 is very different and I am curious if anyone has heard cartridges from each or what you think that may be better for amazing sounding rock.

Steve recommends a wood housing and then will do a Boron/MR retipping, where Andy will modify the plastic housing on the DL-103 to convert it's enclosed outer body to a half nude body, lightening it up which he says will make it track better.  His conversion will be a micro ridge nude stylus (sapphire/boron cantilever) 

So as stated very different approaches, same cost for the most part, I have ruled Soundsmith out just based on time, I know Andy turns around in a day, but have read a lot about both so I figured I would ask the question to see where people lean more often.  I do already have an ebony housing, just want to get a cartridge that punches way above its weight.

If there is something I should look at outside the DL-103 I would be open to hear about it.

Just for the record this cartridge will be going on a SOTA Sapphire VI with an Audiomods series 6 tonearm and I have a McIntosh MP100 going to a tube rolled Schiit Freya+ driving by two Odyssey Kismet monoblocks and Martin Logan speakers.  
128x128justinrphillips

Ive used both. Contrary to whats been said by another poster; my experience with both with retipping is that they cut the stylus close to the suspension and adhere a new one on. Ive never experience just changing the diamond.

Both retipped Dynavectors for me. Both did good work. Audio memory being as unreliable as it is, my opinion is that retipping is like changing from one good amplifier to another. They wont sound the same as the original, it will be a little different. In each time, I got 97% of what the cartridge sounded like, but its never exactly the same. For 30% of the cost of a new cartridge, Im  cool with that.

i dont have a Denon 103 and havent done any cartridge body mods so I cant comment on those. I’ll tell you this, Andy and Steve have told me what to expect from the work, and theyve been reliable with their advice. Steve is friendlier, Andy is leas chattier. Hope that helps.
What will your budget allow? Since you're an Odyssey owner, check with Klaus for a new cartridge rec that will pair with your rig. The Kismet monos are great deal dollar to performance wise. He usually has great suggestions for upgrades too. 

I ran modified 103R’s for about 5-6 years and about 6000 hours a number of years back before moving on to other (retipped cartridges). The ones that I spend the most time with were in aluminum and ebony bodies (as opposed to "housings" which I take can actually mean a true replacement body or something that actually envelops or wraps around the Denon plastic body, which I would not be inclined to use).

I also had a clavellin bodied 103R, which I definitely did not like as much as either the ebony or the aluminum body, both of which sounded very nice and actually quite similar. By comparison, the clavellin body sounded a bit thin and hi-fi-ish.

The modified 103R’s I used were retipped by Peter L at Soundsmith, two with his standard line contact on ruby cantilever and the other with his top of the line OCL on ruby, which was a bit of a bear to set up, but if properly dialled in would offer just a bit more detail than the standard line contact. Not sure if it was worth the trouble.

As I said above, I’ve moved on to different cartridges in the past 4-5 years and have also had both Andy and Steve L do cartridges for me as well. Andy did a couple of Ortofon MC 20 Supers for me, one with boron/microridge and the other with sapphire/microridge, and he also installed a Namiki cantilever with MR (which I provided) onto an Accuphase AC 2 for me after those Ortofons.

More recently Steve Leung installed a couple Namiki Boron/MR cantilevers which I provided him with onto an AT 33 Mono and a SAEC C1. I wouldn’t hesitate to deal with either Steve or Andy in the future; they both did very good jobs for me, as did Peter at Soundsmith. Andy is the king in turnaround time though in my experience if that matters to you.

In the end, I really liked and preferred my aluminum bodied 103R-the ebony was also very good but I ultimately stripped on of the mounting threads on it, which is the drawback of a wood body without metal threads-that will never happen with an aluminum body.

With my experience with modified Denons, I would not personally want to run one that was partially nuded, and or continues to utilize the Denon plastic body in any way.

And ultimately, I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer boron/MR to just about any other combination of cantilever/cartridge out there after running most of them.

So my preference, if I was in the OP’s shoes, would probably be the ebony body (as long is it’s not wrapping around the existing Denon plastic body, which IMO should be removed completely) with a boron MR. Or an aluminum body (they’re often available cheap on Ebay-cheap being in the $60 range) with boron/MR.

Will require a good phonostage, and the Audiomods arm can be beefed up with headshell weights from the manufacturer I believe to increase effective mass into territory that a modified Denon will like.

A properly modified Denon 103R or 103 with a good body and high quality cantilever/stylus is a pretty nice cartridge and does a lot of things well and some things exceptionally. IMO it will probably be extremely competitive with many new cartridges priced into the $1000-$1250 range.

The price of new cartridges has become ridiculous, along with a lot of other audio items, in the past 5 years or so.

For the OP, at $560 for a modified Denon all in with a boron/MR combo, as long as you have the right tone arm and phono stage, it is going to be a very good value and easily good for 1200 hours if handled well and not abused.
I used Steve at VAS to repair a couple of tonearms for me and he did great work and rather quickly, too.  I had a Denon 103D for a very long time until my wife's cat destroyed it.  I really liked it although I was never too sure about the record wear and the spherical stylus.   On the other hand, I don't hear any wear from those records either.   I am tossing the idea around of getting another 103D but there are so many other choices out there!  Maybe a top end Hana?
Imo, the Hana el is the new 103...its been mentioned in that light a few times. $449 seems a reasonable price for a very good LOMC. It generally has the same needs as the 103, as it too has a decently high internal impedance of about 30 ohms. It works well with 1/10 SUT, and has an elliptacal stylus profile rather than conical.