Spindle-To-Pivot Distance

Hello.

Suppose I have a tonearm that wants to be mounted 250mm from the spindle.  But it would be a little hangy-off the edge at 250 but I could mount it cleanly 240mm out.  What's the worst thing that could happen if I do 240?  Do I hear 245?
mrearl
Dear @lewm : ""  I have to wonder what Baerwald and Lofgren heard with what must have been...""

that does not changes in any way the orthodox alignments.

In the other side I know you are not deaf and as you I owned the RS tonearm that I bought by some kind of " curiosity " but never was for me something other than " interesting " and was sold.

As you and I posted at least twice in otjher threads I made once a mistake with the overhang set up, I made it longer and was unawarte of that mistake.
I did it with a very well know ( for me ) cartridge quaklity performance and I was listened to it by 5-6days and I took in account that for " whatever " unknow reason the high frequency range performs better than ever with more definition and " transparency " but at the same time something was not good enough at the other frequency extreme where lives the music foundation and I was very sensible to that range as with the other one.
My common sense told me that something weird could be happening down there and I recheck the tonearm cartridge alignment at found out my error.
After fix it " things " settle down but I tested on purpose with other cartridges and results were similar.
Can I live with? of course I can it sounds really good but that bass range performs better under the rules.

R.
Dear @tomwh : " but music reproduction has far to many variables to be able..."

Rigth and we have to add to those variables the ones that comes with any cartridge/tonearm/TT set up and that are different cartridge by cartridge, tonearm by tonearm and TT by TT.

I owned 2-3 linear tracking tonearms and all gone because its bass range quality performance was and is a little better with pivoted tonearm designs, yes other frequency ranges sounds spectacular.

So the issue could be: which are each one of us the best choosed trade-offs that could mates better with our room/system MUSIC reproduction targets?

I learned a lot with unorthodox changes/up date/up grade in my system but till today nothing of what I already experienced in the subject tells me the way to go is with pivoted straight tonearm designs ( underhung ), I’m orthodox in this specific regards.

Can I move in the near future from there? could be, I’m married not with my room/system way of thinking set up but only with MUSIC, this is my compromise always make " moves " in favor of MUSIC no matter what.

Btw, : " I have not heard any wild distortion issues..." of course not and that is the issue for this controversial " situation ": off set angle or no angle at all.
In a blind tests probably several of us can't detect which one has no off-set and only the ones that know very specific what to look for through the LP tracks could do it and I mean using cartridges and LP track knowed by the listener under test.

R.

Rauliruegas  it is simple  do the test I wrote  about.  The rest is possible  hypothesis.   Also  , while your at it , let's know at what level of distortion  you hear  things going to hell in a hand basket.  Remember  the 2 null spot are just that.  So only twice in a very brief  period  of time do we have the distortion  free  music.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Dear @tomwh : " do the test I wrote about. ":

"" Maybe have a person get a album you are not familiar with then have him play it choosing different spots , with you not looking....... tell him where the null points are on it . ""

Not you, not me and I think no one can tell " him " about those null points and it’s very simple why we can’t do it:

our ears are extremely limited not only in frequency range but way limited to identify some kind of distortions especially distortions of low levels along that we are not trained on purpose to be aware of your posted test but additional to that tracking distortion levels out of the null points are changing its levels ( up and down depending if we are listening before or after each nul point. ) groove to groove and this continuty with to low distortion level groove after groove makes imposible to be aware of it.

These are examples using Löfgren B alignment that always has the null points at 70.28 mm and 116.60mm:

the tracking distortion at 140mm is 0.507% and at 130mm is 0.30%: Do you think that you can identify the 0.2% difference between those 2 grooves?

Now, at 130mm is 0.30 and at 129mm is 0.27%. Could you identify it? I think ( not even with training ) you can’t do it.

Near one null point example: at 120mm is 0.07% and at 119mm is 0.05%, the difference is 0.02% and you want that I try to identify that null point?.
Has no sense to me but was your proposal.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.