Spindle-To-Pivot Distance

Hello.

Suppose I have a tonearm that wants to be mounted 250mm from the spindle.  But it would be a little hangy-off the edge at 250 but I could mount it cleanly 240mm out.  What's the worst thing that could happen if I do 240?  Do I hear 245?
mrearl
I always wonder what sort of (mono) systems were available to Baerwald and Lofgren in the late 1930 or early 1940s, when they published their analyses, and how their work applies to modern stereo gear. Yes, geometry is still geometry, I know.

TomWh, I own an RS Labs underhung tonearm, and it is my experience with it that leads me to be a bit nihilistic when it comes to alignment algorithms.  What 14-inch tonearms with zero headshell offset are you using? I guess I assume you mount them so as to underhang the spindle. (Meaning the stylus tip does not overhang the spindle.)
Been mathematics alignment overall parameters can be manipulated by any one and only has to make the new calculations for the alignment.

As a fact the Stevenson alignment comes by Stevenson parameter manipulation using the Löfgren equations: he took the equations input " most inner groove " distance and converted it in the inner null point.

R.
Lewm  the arms are my own.  The ones with the zero offset  are Brazillian  rosewood with a straight  aluminum headshell.  I use a spacer block of aluminum  or wood for now, between the cartridge  and headshell,  so any angle is available including  zero.   Better check the blood pressure  at the rigid camp.  In fact if you showed them your  RS tone arm you would have to take them to the emergency  room after they see the headshell can move.  Need we forget it wobbles  with no silicone  and  the  pivot is  no where near where it should be.   

The 2 arms are  the same table.  One is rigid on plinth  the other on a massive pod.  Oh dear  the rigid camp is going to lose it.  Now  something that make a real sonic difference  is I can run my tables  either  belt/tape or  idler.  Can change back on forth  around 5 minutes.   Even the  density  and thickness  of the o'rings can change the sound.  Go Figure!!!

Well I went a little  off topic but I hope  the OP gets  what you brought up  about  Did the so called Masters of the old days, using mono,  know  what sounds the best or just like whatever the machine told them.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
The thing is that an under hung tonearm will yield massive amounts of tracking angle error when the stylus is not located at its single null point on the surface of the LP. Way more tracking angle error than is developed in a properly aligned overhung tonearm with a correct headshell offset angle. And yet I hear absolutely no problem. With your 14 inch tonearms, of course you have dramatically reduced the tracking angle error at any position on the LP, compared to that of the RS Lab, but I would wager the actual error is still higher or not much better than one gets with a 9 inch overhung tonearm. I bet the soundQuality is excellent.
...mind the 'jerry rigged' comments, puleze....I've been spending a lot of time giving that a positive spin in my own meandering fashion.... ;)