Allocation of analog resources

I'm at the point where I'm beginning to seriously trading up from my current analog rig (VPI Classic 1, JMW Memorial tonearm, Lyra Delos).  My next move may well be into separate 'table and 'arm.  I know there are no rules (but how about a guideline or two?) regarding how to allocate an upgrade budget?  In other words, if I pick a turntable that costs X dollars, about what percentage of X should I be expecting to spend on a tonearm that complements it, and what percentage of X should I be thinking of as a cartridge budget?  Obviously, it will vary from package to package, especially since some products punch well above their price, but what would you set as a starting point guideline?  

Thanks, and happy listening,
dawgfish
dawgfish
"something around $2.5-$4k for an arm"

If you're adventurous, using the VPI as a temporary home for a really nice arm is another option.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis991g5-sota-satellite-series-ii-turntable-with-rega-s202-tonearm...

Something like this, in the 10" would be a huge upgrade on the substantial Classic base. 

As some are mentioning, I wouldn't be so concerned about cart. Looks like you have competent phono stage to grow with.

Kuzma will put all your existing carts and future in another league. The arm can eventually go with  the appropriate Kuzma table, or whatever you decide, if  you don't get both at the same time.

Classic 1 is perfect tweakie base. It reminds me of the Rega P5 which can be jacked to approach the stock VPIClassic 1. Classic 1 with a few thought out tweaks should approach something near $10K.

Stock the Classic 1 is weak without SDS/Phoenix. Perhaps you already have that covered as well?  Arm and speed control should elevate it considerably.
The Audio Research PH5 is a good phono stage I have had a PH2, Ph2se, ~PH5, PH8, and now a Reference 3. All great phonostages at their price points.
@ghdprentice 
I adamantly disagree with this statement. I do understand that when you do a purchase like this it feels like a huge risk. But in reality it is not. Moving up in cost by 10x… unless you do something terribly wrong is a virtual guarantee of a jaw dropping, wonderful improvement in sound. This is the quickest and surest way to awesome sound. You cannot do it blindly… but this big of jump covers minor errors.
This is an excellent point. I should have framed my comment that I saw as risky because I had never made this significant of a jump in cost before. I would have felt so guilty spending the money if I made a wrong decision and it sounded the same. However, it did work out well beyond what I expected. 

Thanks! 

There is a used Dr. Feickert Woodpecker with a Kuzma Stogi 12" tonearm on another website for sale at $5,500. A lot of performance for the money

No relationship to seller. I just saw the ad.
@feemoore12.  
 I sure understand the feeling though. When I did this the first time I knew that I would feel like and absolute idiot if this enormous expense didn’t pan out. It would be a permanent mark against the pursuit and my judgement. 
Having done this many times now I realize the risk is not that high.