Build-up on stylus - any new cures?

Hi, I run a restored TD-124 and SME 3009 series II, a Shure V-15 III, and a JICO SAS stylus. The last record or two I played sounded a bit off and I wondered whether I had managed to wear out the stylus. Using a pocket microscope I bought for this, I was able to see that the stylus tip still has good "shoulders," so that much is good. However, it has an astonishing amount of sparkly white build-up around the diamond.

There is a thread on here from 2014 with good advice, and I've used slices from a magic eraser for some years now, occasionally with alcohol. Usually I clean the stylus every other record side with a dry ME. Any new thoughts on removing this junk?
One 2014 poster suggested gently dragging the stylus on the ME back to front. I have never done that but would like to hear if anyone thinks that is safe for the tip? Hopefully there is an inexpensive solution, thanks!
mixermarkwilliams
I use Magic Eraser and I carefully drag it from back to front. Have not had an issue in 3-4 years of doing this. However! I'm using an inexpensive Ortofon 2M Red or Blue stylus, so not as concerned about an expensive mistake.
When the stylus gets dirty, I add a few drops of 91% alcohol to the ME. That generally takes care of it. Agree with @slaw keep records clean; less gunk and your stylus will last longer.
Thanks, I actually have a bottle of that exact stuff (at least it was 91% a couple of years ago, and I have used it regularly. Whatever is stuck on their seems impervious to alcohol, though, so I'm exploring other options. I appreciate your response.
OK, for everyone that offered practical ideas for a solution, thank you! I appreciate that. My problem is somewhere in the mechanical-chemical range and pragmatic ideas are welcome.

For the various people that assumed that I don't clean my records, I actually never play one I haven't cleaned unless I cut the shrink wrap right beforehand. And sometimes I clean even new records first.

The cantilever tip around the diamond looks like a snowball with just the tip of the diamond peaking through. Dipping it into ME's (my usual cleaning method) with alcohol, or water, or even vinegar (why not?) were all equally ineffective. An Audio-Technica tacky thing was ineffective, as was a Discwasher stylus brush I got in the 1970s, both dry and with alcohol on it.

Going forward I will explore solvents and possibly ultrasonic cleaning, perhaps with that Flux HiFi gadget. Fortunately I also have the JICO replacement for the original VN-35E stylus (not SAS). It will work until I fix the SAS.

noromance
6,273 + 1  on that.

Dragging = stylus removal. After using Magic Eraser I brush back to front with a soft artist brush to remove any dust, etc.

09-08-2021 3:45pmUp and down for Magic Eraser. Never drag.