I need quiet as much as music sometimes so help me please

I know nothing about headphones. Mostly because to me they feel uncomfortable and restricting after about
10 minutes of use. But I need something while flying that will knock out as much noise as possible. I use
foam earplugs and they help. Now I am ready to spend what it takes. Questions-
-Is noise cancelling a viable concept?
-Brands to focus on- Sony, JCV and Bose- or so I have been told. Others?

I am having trouble finding any ratings of db reduction specs. Do they exist?

Anyone been down this way lately?

Thanks
chorus
Since eBay now hits your bank and you can't use Paypal, I would think twice. Other backwaters, Amazon Warehouse, Woot, and dealer closeouts are potential options for similar deals. I have deals at musician suppliers like Sweetwater, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center. Cheers,
Spender
Thanks.
I will return the BB pair at $340
for the refurbs at 200 with 2 year
warranties.
I currently have the Sony WH-1000XM4, the Bose 700s & the iPhone AirPod Max, all are good but if I have to put them in order it would be.

1. AirPod Max because I have an iPhone and its a perfect marriage. Sending texts, and calling people all without phone in hand. Used on Amazon $450.00

2. Sony WH-1000XM4 is the best sounding of all and you can EQ to your liking and you can configure them in many ways with there app. Used on Amazon $200.00

3. Bose 700 its ok but in IMHO sound wise not in the same league as the ones above. I purchase these new.
First off, I'm biased so take that into account.  I've been in this industry for a long time, predominantly on the Audio side, and have never been one to look at the biggest names and much prefer products from the companies on the fringe that have an edge to them. As an example, I've never owned a product from that Framingham company and never will as it's just not my type of sound signature. I took a position to run sales for Cleer Audio prior to launching our latest products at CES 2020, we were on fire and then March/April 2020 hit and severely harmed our growth momentum. I'd invite you to give us a shot. Our Flow II's are fantastic and our newest model Enduro ANC has a crazy amount of recent and great reviews.  Check this one out from Gary Alan Barker at Headphone Guru that came out this week, and I have a lot more both written and on YouTube.  https://headphone.guru/cleer-enduro-anc-wireless-bluetooth-active-noise-canceling-headphone-review/ www.cleeraudio.com  We are a company who produces high performing and high design products at a fair price and I have no issues putting our product directly up against the best known products in the business. Cheers!
I bought some sound cancelling Sonys for $50- refurbished.
They seem fine. Thanks for all the ideas!