Magico Q7 . . . wow

In the world's best audio system

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=86&Itemid=285
holenneck
Can any other systems at a similar price point arguably compete with this one?

I can't even fathom how I would tell which of two SOTA systems sounded better. They should all sound like being there I would think? Maybe there would be enough differences to compare and contrast. But I would expect six of one, half dozen of another at that point. I guess aesthetics, features, fit into my room/home, etc. would all come into play .

If I were a rich man......
Wslam,
That's an interesting report. I thought you had given up on Magico :^) Have you heard any of the other Q's, or is Q7 the first Magico you've heard since your old Minis? I really like the Q3 and would love to get the chance to hear the Q7. What amps were driving the Q7?
Just auditioned Q7's about a week ago at my dealer's place. About six months ago in the same system I also had audition Q5s. While the bass was noticeably more in Q7, both sounded somewhat similar. Both still sounded mechanical and electronic- far from SOTA IMO, but like many other systems claimed to be 'SOTA' category. Then again SOTA definition in audio is different for different audiophiles= two main contingents being true to recording and other being true to non amplified acoustic instruments in live space (close to life-like). I am in the lifelike camp.

With that said I will be the first one to say speakers are what they are being driven by- electronic, cabling, power and most important of all- music and quality of recordings. In this system although at both instances, the electronics (solid state) and cabling was same, once when we switched to tubed mono blocks in Q5 case, the performance of Q5 did show some promise, if system is made well balanced. And I am sure same would be true for Q7. ( We didn't try tubed mono blocks due to time constraints).

But, overall coming from Aircraft/Space Engineering background and having dealt with Aluminum material all my life, I am highly skeptical that these speakers can 'fully' produce life like woody bloom. Not an entirely impossible concept but a very balancing and daunting task. Just imagine a acoustic guitar with Al curved body!. I usually stay away from expressing my opinions (of any kind) on this forum, having heard both in controlled well designed listening room, and with $$$$$$ electronics I thought it is a good idea for me to post my thoughts.

Just my 2 cents, not looking for any debates.
Nil,

I think you are right that subjectively there is probably no single SOTA sound.

Audiophile that are tuned into this kind of thing do not all like the same kind of sound obviously so preferences would vary with SOTA type systems as well as any others I suppose.

Would a tube/vinyl and a SS/digital guy ever agree on the best sound? I don't know the answer, but it is surely not a lock.

IF one assesses a system from more of a objective technology/engineering perspective, it is probably easier to identify SOTA in a more objective manner. I would always expect good sound to result that is SOTA in at least some regards if not the absolute bomb in all ways for all.
Hi Peterayer,
Of course not! I still love Magico VERY much. I admire the way they do things...
And yes, I have listened to all the Q models. The day I went to listen to the Q7, I really went to listen to the Q1, which sounded very fine indeed. But as the Q7 were 'right there', I had to ask the sales to turn them on, and what a mistake. They made me 'forget' that I went for the Q1. haha...
The Q7 were driven by a Balabo amp. DAC was BADA Alpha2, Preamp was Balabo. CD player was Spectral. I only had 30 mins that day, but it was a very memorable 30 mins.

I know Nilthepill say he doesn't express his opinion often, but the comment that he is "highly skeptical that these speakers can 'fully' produce life like woody bloom".

To me that is just a plain wrong statement. Are you saying that the wood should 'sing along' to produce 'bloom'?

Whatever bloom there is, it should have been recorded. And the drivers should faithfully reproduce. If the 'wood' starts to sing along, you will get 'double the bloom'. It just doesn't make sense. I can see why one would associate wood with 'bloom' (all the wooden instruments), but don't forget, there's also brass instruments. So wood speakers can never reproduce brass instruments faithfully?

In short, speakers should just disappear and get out of the way, and only an inert silent cabinet can to that!