Is great sound possible through an on-board, MM phono stage?

I’m considering simplifying down to an integrated amp and curious whether it’s possible to get great sound from an on-board MM phono stage. In the past, I have felt that it’s tough. I ran a Shindo Masseto’s on-board MM stage through a Hashimoto SUT, for example, and it didn’t measure up to my Coincident phono stage. Indeed, the whole business of runnng an interconnect to an external SUT to another interconnect to a tonearm is something I’d love to avoid. Are there any folks out there who felt they’ve found a winning combo with an MM or MI cartridge? Or an SUT combo that’s truly quiet, with a massive soundstage, great dynamics, and smooth performance that doesn’t break the bank? Integrateds i'm considering include the Audio Note OTO SE Signature phono, the Leben CS600, or possibly a Linear Tube Audio integrated. 
128x128cfluxa
There are more superfluous ''components'' in our ''collections'' than
an SUT for MM input. 
lewm

You wouldn't have a SUT unless you have a MC cartridge. It's cables go to the rear of the MM Phono you will use for the needed EQ.

To get in the back, and move cables each time you want to play a MM (stereo or mono) cartridge is not good practice, sometimes quite difficult as well.

Thus, get a SUT with PASS, play any MC or MM thru it, never need to change cables.
I’ve got the Mimas with on board DAC but I have it on very good authority that the phono stage is stellar. As an integrated amp the Mimas has few peers. Fully kitted out one could classify this as a super-integrated. An extremely fine amp. 
I don't have an integrated phono stage, but I can speak to a MI cartridge. I have found the SS Carmen II to have all the detail and resolution of a good MC, but with body and drive that is sometimes missing. I'm pretty happy with it and will move up the Soundsmith line in the future.

Oz