advice re old shelf speakers

hi all. hoping for some guidance. i am after a pair of, probably old, shelf speakers as cost is a major factor. how they look/condition unimportant. just need to be able to handle all sorts of music and be LOUD!  i care for my mother as has dementia, so funds tight. all good though, i just have to be creative and do the research. example, i have a pretty decent old technics midi separates system eh600 which i found on gumtree for £50 in mint condition. perfect. i have run audio to it through a good quality optical out from tv to a fiio k5 pro dac/amp then line out to line in on the technics. now volume nicely boosted and sounds good and clean as also quality leads and upgraded 4 wire type speaker cables. for v little spend it does a decent job, but i love my music so always looking for more and i feel my neighbours really need to listen to more slayer, rush, jinjer, etc. the technics speakers are pretty decent but now struggling a bit with the added oomph i can now get out of my system. had no real idea where to start, then thought there may be some wonderfully helpful people out there with the knowledge and patience to help me. fingers crossed and thanks v much in advance if it's you. apologies for the long post. gerald  
geraldoneill100
hi imhififan
i have manual and says crossover freq 200hz, 8khz. is this a clue or is there somewhere i should look re if crossover is active? are you saying i need a speaker with a particular way they are set up? please excuse my ignorance. g
Post removed 
hi oldaudiophile, any response helpful mate, apart from trolls like yogiboy, though i think his post was removed. although i adore seriously aggressive/fast metal i really love all music. i love al jarreau, early elvis costello and tubeway army, incognito jazzfunk era, hip hop and some classical. i therefore need fairly neutral speakers that can handle all. by old i am thinking 2 to 10 years i suppose, though open to anything really. my approach may be all wrong. what i have done with tv, stereo, etc is to be wiling to buy something that is 1 or 2 or more versions old/used/refurbished, so way less money. i have no other requirement other than volume that sounds good. age, look, condition, etc utterly irrelevant.i believe i need 100/120watts rms if that is ever accurately provided by a manufacturer and sensitivity above 90 and horn type tweeters. this forum has kindly taught me that in the last 24 hours. couple more weeks i may have a clue! i think all i may really learn is the exact speakers i need but cannot afford so will need to make do for a while, but at least will give me something to look out for. i'm happy with that if so. cheers. g.
hi yogiboy. maybe reread my posts as was some humour and thought i was chatting with nice people, if strangers. i try to think of strangers as friends i just dont know very well yet. also read my reply to you above. what i would say is my post was in a forum for speakers, so you saying you thought i was an internet troll is a very odd and, dare i say, disingenuous thing to say. your post was obviously offensive. i think you are correct to say that a person may well not have been being genuine and honest, but why would you feel that you need to defend the world from someone like that? even if i was the sort of saddo that looked for fake sympathy from total strangers, i would need laughing at and ignoring dont you think? when you doubt someone's sincerity/integrity on their gofundme page, i think you should be doubtful. when person is asking for speaker advice, i think you might be nicer as it's, er... advice for a speaker!!! engage brain, then speak/email/etc. it's for the best. g 
i strongly believe you should wait and find a pair of cerwin vega with the almost indestructible piezo tweeter. As a DIY project, you could start by purchasing Cerwin Vega drivers off ebay UK and use your cabinets…slowly replacing drivers as you can afford and they become available…not the perfect textbook approach but worth a try w constraints you have….

You could do similar w Klipsh horns and drivers loaded into your cabinet..Heresy might work

Finally, you are a saint for caring for your mum.