advice re old shelf speakers

hi all. hoping for some guidance. i am after a pair of, probably old, shelf speakers as cost is a major factor. how they look/condition unimportant. just need to be able to handle all sorts of music and be LOUD!  i care for my mother as has dementia, so funds tight. all good though, i just have to be creative and do the research. example, i have a pretty decent old technics midi separates system eh600 which i found on gumtree for £50 in mint condition. perfect. i have run audio to it through a good quality optical out from tv to a fiio k5 pro dac/amp then line out to line in on the technics. now volume nicely boosted and sounds good and clean as also quality leads and upgraded 4 wire type speaker cables. for v little spend it does a decent job, but i love my music so always looking for more and i feel my neighbours really need to listen to more slayer, rush, jinjer, etc. the technics speakers are pretty decent but now struggling a bit with the added oomph i can now get out of my system. had no real idea where to start, then thought there may be some wonderfully helpful people out there with the knowledge and patience to help me. fingers crossed and thanks v much in advance if it's you. apologies for the long post. gerald  
geraldoneill100

Showing 2 responses by tomic601

please do give yogiboy a second chance.

i have been thinking that you should also try to find a UK based forum to ask your ? ( I am assuming UK ) Try NAIM forum and ask for ideas or referral to more appropriate forums.

local knowlege of used market in your home country essential.

Pretty sure my Quad ESL 63 would puke playing slayer

best to you and your go with the flow rocking Mum.

Jim
i strongly believe you should wait and find a pair of cerwin vega with the almost indestructible piezo tweeter. As a DIY project, you could start by purchasing Cerwin Vega drivers off ebay UK and use your cabinets…slowly replacing drivers as you can afford and they become available…not the perfect textbook approach but worth a try w constraints you have….

You could do similar w Klipsh horns and drivers loaded into your cabinet..Heresy might work

Finally, you are a saint for caring for your mum.