Most forgiving high end speaker 10k-20k?

Better high end speakers are typically so high in resolution that, while they sound superb with great and maybe even good recordings, they sound mediocre to plain bad with average recordings. Given that many people have average recordings that they enjoy, and would wish to be able to listen to most if not all of their music library, what speakers in the roughly $10k-20k realm (new price) would provide an extraordinary listening experience across the spectrum (average to good recordings especially)? Does such an animal exist?
jeffkad
Zu Definition 4. Despite having even higher resolution than Definition 2, it makes even 1980s CDs more listenable than any speaker I've listened to so far. Yet exceptional recordings will be revealed for all they are worth. I didn't expect the boost in listenability of CD. $12,995/pr. now, direct, 60 days mbg. 101db/w/m efficiency but high power handling too. Usable with a very wide range of amplification.

Phil
Personally I find the source and amp to be more of a factor regarding good/bad recordings. My local dealer used to sell Sim Audio and to me it sounded extremely detailed. With great recordings it is fantastic but with poor recordings it brought out all recording flaws. I found myself listening to the equipment more than the music. Naim on the other hand had a better and more musical balance.

That being said my local dealer had these set up with a variety of Dynaudio speakers up to the C4's. It has to do with total system synergy. I believe you need to find the speakers you like the most and find the right electronics to match because in my opinion the speakers make for the greatest difference in sound characteristics.
To answer your question more directly, I'd suggest Vandersteen models 2 or 3, both are under $4k. I've auditioned dozens of speakers and out of all of them they were by far the easiest to listen to, pleasant, smooth, no hard edges.

Onhwy61 made many good points.
Interesting question, and one I think is appropriate. What may sound spectacular in a demonstration may also wear on one's nerves over the long haul, for the reasons you mention. Onhwy raises good points also. I find Tyler Woodmere speakers extremely 'listenable' over a broad range of recording qualities. They are also very pleasing for long periods of listening. Even though they are "as good as what you feed into them," they have a way of remaining pleasing to the ears and emotions.
Well chosen system and proper set up go a long way toward getting the best out of ALL kinds of recordings. Onhwy61's advice is good as a starting point for building a system. The speaker, and its interaction with the room, is the biggest factor in determining how any system will sound, so one should start with finding the best speaker--even if that means stretching the budget there and waiting to upgrade anything else.

There are lots of candidates out there that are not overly analytical, lean and bright, so I hope some of my suggestions, and those of others, will work out for you. But, I hope that you keep in mind that we all have different systems and different ideas of what are more forgiving speakers and I have often been pleasantly surprised by hearing stuff that I did not like in several settings sound wonderful in another, so listen to as much as you can and keep and open mind.

In various settings I have liked the following:

Gradient Revolution --very flexible in terms of placement options, I've heard them sound good in small rooms and up against a wall.

Gershman GAP 828--warm and musical sounding with just about any kind of music.

Audionote speakers (various models)--plain looking (okay, perhaps ugly), but, they work well in corner locations and are never harsh or dry sounding. They work well with low powered tube gear which also helps in making bad recordings sound decent.

Magnepan 3.7--these require space around the speaker, particularly behind the speaker. In a good setup, these manage to be detailed and reasonably fast and dynamic without being harsh sounding. The tweeter on these speakers is amazingly good.

Vandersteen Quattro and 5A--I have not heard a Vandersteen that did not sound fundamentally musical and enjoyable with a wide range of recordings and accompanying equipment.

I have not heard they current lineup of JM Reynaud speakers, but in the past, I have found the whole lineup to be warm and musical.