B&W 805D stands? Experience?

I own the B&W 805D's and currently have them placed on Target Steel Four post stands which are filled with oven dried sand. Four pieces of Blutack is used on each speaker to couple it to the top of the metal stand. I would really like to hear from owners that either have the specified matching B&W stand with them, or that had or tried other stands and moved up to the matching stands. I only purchased the Target stands to save money at time of purchase, as my dealer sold me the Targets at his cost of $203 ($300 retail). I wasn't prepared to spend an additional $700 at the time I purchased my 805D's for the proprietary stands. Please tell me the differences you have heard, if any, between other metal stands and the matching 805D stands. My wife thinks the B&W stands look like "duck feet" but if they are truely worthy of the cost, I will make the change. Please also specify if you have them filled with sand or lead shot also. Any feedback is appreciated.
bavarian05
The new PM1's are going to make the 805's obsolete I'm afraid...the stands are out of this world gorgeous as well and they bolt to the speakers. I bought them over the 805's. The Absolute Sound has indicated that they are something special and will be reviewing them shortly. FYI
go with a VTI stand and fill it with stand, best bang for buck

http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-DF-Series-Speaker-Stands-DF-VI1045.html
Thank you all for the feedback. I've removed the Blutack and replaced it with the supplied B&W rubber nubs. I also moved the speakers back on the stands about 2.5" so the center of the speaker is more centered on the stand. Surprisingly, it makes quite a difference. The low end is less pronounced and better integrated. The sound is also more "elastic" with better overall bounce and rhythm. I think the Blutack was slowing down the sound a bit and slightly exaggerating the low end. I should have put in the effort and tried this right away.
Hi Dave_b,

RE: B&W PM1

I auditioned them prior to buying the 805D's and also found them to be a wonderful speaker. Though I think they will generally excel in smaller listening spaces and will need fairly high power/current amplification upstream for them to sound their best (really no different than many other speakers of course). I use tube amplification (130 watts) and found the 88db sensitivity of the 805D's to be a much better match for my system as opposed to the lower sensitivity rating of 84db with the PM1. The 805D to my ear offers a warmer/fuller overall sound and goes a little deeper in the bass region which I think is simply a function of the larger volume of the 805D's cabinet and larger driver set up. Congrats on the new speaker purchase. They are beautifully finished speakers! Did you get the mocha or the newer maroon color?