Jazz Music Question

Hi All,

I have been listening to music for 50 plus years and just don't have the jazz styles and artists locked in my mind like I do for rock.

So, anyway, I acquired Cannonball Adderley's "Somethin Else" and I think that it is fantastic.

What style/genre of jazz is this album?

I want more of the same - what artists or albums might you recommend?

Thanks for listening,

Dsper.

dsper
Hi All,

This is great stuff!

I have albums by some of the artists you mention like Art Blakey, Chet Baker!, Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, Grant Green!, Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper, etc.; so I guess I am starting to get on the right track.

However, there are many names mentioned here that I do not know. This is super; I can be like a kid in a candy store!

I have been concentrating on my digital front end the last few years but finally got my KAB modified Technics SL1200 mk5 up and running so who knows what I might find in the vinyl stacks.

One off topic comment is that my PWT and Mojo Mystique V3 DAC sound better than the table with an old Ortofon Pro s40 cartridge. Not sure if it is a bad old cartridge or the digital is just better.

Anyway, your responses are great!

Thanks,

Dsper.

A couple of corrections to my comments.
The Michael Brecker album title is "Two Blocks From The Edge".

Tony Williams’ quintet is hard bop but Brecker is post bop and I see Steps Ahead classed as fusion (though not fusion as I tend to think of it).

"Generally speaking, the difference between Post Bop and Hard Bop is that Hard Bop carries a stronger trace of the blues and a more straight forward driving rhythm...."
Above from the article at the link here:
https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/subgenre/post-bop

FWIW - I have a KAB mod’d Technics table w/Heed Quasar phono pre and a couple of Grado carts. I enjoy analog sessions but listen to digital probably more than 90% of the time. Seems to me getting great sound out of an analog rig might be more challenging (set up and $ invested?) than required to get good sound from digital - my O-pinion. Will be delighted if that doesn’t attract the usual carrion eaters.
@dsper wrote,

’One off topic comment is that my PWT and Mojo Mystique V3 DAC sound better than the table with an old Ortofon Pro s40 cartridge. Not sure if it is a bad old cartridge or the digital is just better’.

You have a very good digital front end. The P.S.Audio PWT is one of the better sounding CD transports around. Your DAC is well regarded. Your front end is definitely capable of getting into the core/essence of the music.

2nd point is that fortunately most jazz recordings transferred very well to Redbook CD (Thank goodness!). No doubt you can achieve terrific sound with a quality analogue/ turntable front end as well.

But don’t sell your digital front end short. I can enjoy either format but my digital most certainly gets me eemotionally engaged in my jazz collection quite deeply. There’s literally a ton of "Hard Bop" jazz to be found on Redbook CDs😊.
Charles

@whart,
You’re welcome.
I can imagine how well your Lamm Avantgarde Duo combo conveys this beautiful music.
Charles