Klipsch Cornwall IV

Hello all,

I'm interested in what people who have heard the speaker feel about it. I currently run spatial M3 turbos and have an all tube analog setup ( line magnetic, hagerman ) with an oppo 105 being the digital front end.

Previous speakers have been acoustic zen, reference 3A, Maggie 3.6, and triangles. I am more concerned with a huge immersive sound stage than I am with pinpoint imagery. I have a big room and have plenty of space between the back wall and my speakers if I need it.

Any thoughts?
128x128simao
Haven’t had a chance to demo the cw iv yet, curious how the soundstage height is?  I currently have a pair of smaller maggies (mg12), and the height of the cornwalls, I think 38 inches or so, is substantially shorter.
thanks
I would like to offer another low output tube option. I am using an Aric Audio Super 88/150 SE and it is a great amp. It can use many different output tubes, but configured with EL34s as I am using it, the rated power is 12 watts/channel. Aric Kimball is a great designer and this is one of the best tube amps I have owned. He is very accessible and loves to talk about his products and his philosophy.

This amp is a wonderful match for the Cornwall IV.

Oz
from above:
Hi Don! I started to put together a parts list to modify the crossover caps. I like VCAP much. I've used their CuTFs before. Can you shed some light on where one could cut corners a bit to save cost? The reason I ask is that the mods you did come up to $896 in caps--

All values *2 loudspeakers
2.7 uF $87
2.2 uF $84
6.8 uF $101
1.5 uF $82
4 uF $94

I may do the VCAP ODAMs on 2.7, 2.2 and 6.8 and try something more affordable on the other values.

I used the VCap ODAM because I build a lot of tube gear and they sound better than anything I have ever heard.  I have never liked the sound of the teflon caps much.  Others have different tastes and that is how it should be.   I get OEM pricing on the VCaps because I buy a lot of them.  But I cannot sell them under that agreement, only use them for my builds. The retail price starts to go down at quantity 2, but yes, they are expensive little devils!   Honestly, the stock caps in the crossover appear to be typical MKP caps.   I cannot say how good they are.  I put caps in that I know are as good as anything out there and I could hear quite a difference.   Also, getting the sand resistor out of there matters a lot too.  I used the pathaudio ones at about $25 each, but even a nice Mills or something would be better.  The 2.75, 2.25, and 7 uF values are the most important ones for the caps.  I left the big one alone as it is just across the woofer.  You could probably leave the others alone as well.  The three above values are directly in series with the mid and high drivers.  I am not sure if something more affordable would be better than what is there now for the other values, I really don't know.  I had all but the largest value in stock for the ODAM so I used them.  For cheaper options, the multicaps have always been good reliable ones, as well as the mundorf supremes, but not sure these are much better than what it is there now, since they are not labelled and I didn't measure them.  The oil filled mundorfs are about as expensive as the vcaps and the I prefer the VCap ODAM to anything mundorf.  Again, we all have our tastes....  Lots of folks like Duelunds and I also like the Miflex KPCU, but both are huge for the value and would not fit, and I prefer the ODAM to any of them.