Interesting HDMI Problem: OPPO UDP-205

I have a McIntosh MX122, OPPO UDP-205, and a Sony Bravia OLED.   The OPPO is connected to the MX122 through both an HDMI connection (BluRay "in") and RCA patch cables (CD "in") so that I can use the OPPO DACs for listening to audio CDs.

The Sony is connected to the MX122 through the Monitor 1 output.

I've been having intermittent audio dropouts when using the analog connection to listen to audio CDs on the UDP-205.   I've finally traced the problem to the Sony Bravia.   The Sony implementation of Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is called "Bravia Sync."

In the Bravia Sync menu, Sony does not provide an "OFF" setting.  They have "Enable" and...nothing to turn CEC "OFF."  What they have you do is delete the HDMI equipment list from the Sony CEC sub-menu.   This does NOT turn CEC "OFF" - it simply hides the expanded CEC menu as you no longer have an equipment list to control, while leaving the CEC feature / circuit active.

The CEC is active even when the Sony is turned "OFF," because, in reality - the Sony is on standby and only the screen has been turned off.  The electronics are still active because the Sony can be programmed to automatically turn itself "ON" when it senses a different piece of equipment turn on through the CEC / HDMI circuit.

What happens with the Sony turned "ON" or "OFF" is that the Sony constantly looks for equipment through the HDMI connection.   It's randomly looking for a friend and sending out a handshake signal.  This disrupts the UDP-205 as it's processing audio through its DACs and it momentarily times out to send a "Yeah stupid, I'm still here" response back to the Sony.

Haven't quite figured out where to go from here...as I don't have a resolution to the problem - but, I thought this might help someone else if they're having the same type of problem.

buckhorn_cortez
Hello unsound,
I agree with you on Oppo's video processing capability which is indeed the very best. However I am using the HDMI Bypass input of Oppo which allows me to set up the Apple TV video display as Dolby Vision instead of 4K UHD. I don't get that option if I use the regular HDMI IN input in Oppo. The HDMI IN input of Oppo might not support Dolby Vision organically. The Dolby Vision picture is significantly better than the regular 4K display even when it is processed by the very best video processor inside an Oppo player. I am very new to this 4K/Dolby Vision display stuff, never been a videophile. It appears to me that the Dolby Vision output when I connect Apple TV directly to the Sony HDMI input is relatively better than the output of Oppo HDMI bypass mode. It might be because the HDMI in input in my Oppo has never been used before and it is currently breaking in. I would let Apple TV/Oppo combination run for 100/150 hours and look for improvements. If affirmative my issue would be handled gracefully else I would have to go back to connecting Apple TV directly to the Sony TV and then get the audio using Optical interface.
I have got the Spears and Munsil UHD video calibration disk. I will try to calibrate the Apple TV/Oppo combination and see if that brings any improvement in the video performance.
Thanks for your feedback.

If you just got the Sony, you might want to burn it in at it's neutral settings before doing a calibrating.
Hello unsound,
Yes this unit supports Dolby Vision through the main HDMI out. The Oppo’s manual doesn’t specify what exactly is supported on its HDMI IN input. I don’t understand why Apple TV doesn’t show the Dolby Vision in the video output menu when connected to Oppo’s regular HDMI in input but it shows this option when I connect it to the HDMI Bypass input where the video signal bypasses all the internal video processin of Oppo.
However it seems that my new Audioquest HDMI cable, the HDMI IN input on the Oppo and perhaps the Apple TV itself are all breaking in and now the picture through the Oppo/Apple TV combo is definitely much better than Sony/Apple TV combo. I have done this A/B analysis a few times and I see the improvement consistently. While I am enjoying the overall video handling experience, the part that is confusing to me is how Oppo is able to enhance the video performance on its HDMI bypass input where it is not is even touching the video signal. It is possible that Oppo’s transport mechanism is better than Sony. Also in my set up the Oppo unit has a much better power cable than the Sony TV and it is placed on a Townshend Seismic Platform. All these factors c
ould lead to a better video performance as well. Very interesting nonetheless...
Thanks
Hello unsound,
I am not too experienced in dealing with TV panels. I have so far been using Samsung F8500 plasma TV, their last plasma model before they decided to call it quits on the manufacturing of plasma TVs. I have just got the Sony OLED TV, less than 2 weeks old,  to experience the OLED panel/4K resolution. What do you mean by running it on its neutral setting? I am using Sony's custom picture setting, using its default values, for viewing all sources. Is that considered to be a neutral setting? Also how long do you recommend burning in? I am very used to the concept of burning speakers and electronics but not so much for a TV. I could run any electronics 24x7 but that wouldn't be easy or even possible with a TV.  Any comment/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.