Phasemation (Phase-Tech) MC cartridges

"Phasemation" is a word created by combining "Phase" and "Information".

Another Japanese brand with very strong reputation and long history since the 1970's, and another LOMC cartridge I'd like to have in the vaults. I hope this thread will help to put together all information about company and their cartridges. 

PHASEMATION (previously Phase Tech) is a Japanese brand owned by KYODO DENSHI ENGINEERING Co., Ltd., founded by Mr. NOBUYUKI SUZUKI. Its offer includes mainly vinyl-related products - phono cartridges, phono preamplifiers, but also preamplifiers and power amplifiers.

• High-end audio brand, "Phase Tech", started.
  • MC Phono Cartridge, "P-1" was released as the first product of Phase Tech. The stainless body and rosewood cover were adopted.

• MC phono cartridge, Phase Tech "P-3" was released. Its body was made of duralumin and it was coated with DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) having high hardness. 
  • Head shell, Phase Tech "CS-1" was released. Its duralumin body was made by carving and it was coated with DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) having high hardness.

• MC phono cartridge, Phase Tech "P-3G" was released. It was an upgraded version of "P-3". Neodymium magnet was replaced with samarium-cobalt one and pure iron polepiece was replaced with permendur.

• MC phono cartridge, Phase Tech "P-1G" was released. It was an upgraded version of "P-1". The homogeneity of the magnetic field was enhanced because the yoke-shape for magnetic circuit was designed again. The stainless base was replaced with the carved titanium base and it was coated with DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) having high hardness. The rosewood body was replaced with ebony wood.

• Head shell, "CS-1000" was released. It was designed so as to be lighter and a higher sound quality than CS-1.
  • MC phono cartridge, "PP-1000" was released. "P-1G" was restyled a little. The shape of front yoke used for magnetic circuit consisting of samarium-cobalt magnet and permendur was redesigned; thereby, the homogeneity of magnetic field was enhanced. The base made of stainless and housing made of duralumin were adopted.
  • MC monaural phone cartridge, "PP-Mono", was released. The monaural model has been awaited for a long time.
  • MC phono cartridge, "PP-300" was released. This was a new basic model including the knowhow of PP-1000.

• MC phono cartridge, "PP-2000" was released. Consisting of samarium-cobalt magnet and permendur was inherited from "PP-1000". The shape of yoke used for a magnetic circuit consisting of them was redesigned. Therefore the homogeneity of magnetic field was enhanced and the power generation efficiency was enhanced. The vibration system was also newly designed such as adopting the stringently selected damping material. The features of "PP-1000" are brushed up and inherited.
  • MC cartridge, "PP-500", was released.

... to be continued 

128x128chakster
@chakster I’m quite positive you will like the PP-300. It’s supposed to be very similar to the earlier P3G, which is a wonderful cartridge and indeed by far the best I’ve heard at a new price under $1500.

The brand is not very well known in the West and my contact in Japan told me I should give it a try. Apparently they are designed by Mr. Kanno, responsible for the famous Victor MC-L1000 direct couple carts decades ago. The Phasemation are more traditional LOMC’s with 0.28 mV output, 4 ohm impedance and low compliance. The boron cantilever with PA Ogura line contact stylus is identical to Transfiguration Proteus and other top Japanese MC’s.

It’s not a detail champion like the Proteus and the other super low impedance cartridges like MSL and Mutech, but somehow it always ’knows’ where the musical argument is going, anchored by hugely powerful bass and strong dynamics. In some ways it reminds me of the work by Takeda San and I’ve put it side by side to the Krell KC-200 for comparison. The likeness is unmistakable, although the Krell/Miyabi has ’something’ that is quite magical and not easy to put into words. You know what I mean 😇

A few months ago I added the PP Mono, which has the same ’big balls’ presentation. I can assure you I’d never heard my original blue notes this way. As for tonearm synergy, both are natural partners to the FR-64S.

I have my radar on a previously cherished PP-1000, but they are never offered for sale. I can understand why. You do see previously owned samples of P3G and PP-300, presumably from people moving up the ladder. I was hoping some PP-1000’s would be offered after the introduction of PP-2000, but no luck so far.

I had a Phase Tech P3G maybe 12 years ago and really liked it--detailed without being etched, coherent, full-bodied. Too bad I busted its suspension (don't ask). The carcass is still in my cartridge drawer.

I also have the matching Phase Tech T-3 SUT and still use it all the time. Excellent unit. I'm surprised this firm doesn't get more recognition here in the States.

I have a serious interest in mono records, both vinyl and 78s and have been checking out the market for the past few years trying to decide what to invest in.
There seems to be a strong consensus that Miyajima mono cartridges lead the pack but I felt a bit hesitant as I am using a Technics 1200 turntable with a medium mass arm. Dealers I consulted assured me that it would work great but, as it is a serious investment, I was hesitant to take the chance. In the end, I bought a used Miyajima Premium Mono to test the waters. It was, indeed, as wonderful as the reviews said but I didn’t feel that I was getting everything I should out of it as it didn’t feel like a good match for my arm.
In this case, I am using the word "feel" literally. Resting my finger lightly on the head shell or tonearm I could feel strong vibrations, especially on the lower range of the music. None of my other (many) cartridges do this. That it still sounds good as it does may be due to my installing a KAB damper on my table.Anyway, I got a chance to buy a Phasemation a good price. I was a little reluctant as the specs (8×10-6cm/dyne, Japanese standard) are exactly the same as the Miyajima. What gave me hope is that this is the same brand that Technics Japan uses when they demonstrate their own turntables. Phasemation also claimed that somehow their cartridges would work with the vast majority of arms on the market.
There was no vibration with the Phasemation and it sounds really good. It has a different sound quality than the Miyajima, a bit less romantic and rich but, to my ears, more "real" and no less engaging. I have come to feel that Miyajima is more of a "fun" cartridge but the Phasemation more "serious" but not in an overly analytical way.
Bit of a mystery to me as to why two cartridges with the same specs react so differently to my arm but my guess is the difference between a wood and metal body.

You actually put your finger on the headshell while playing music? Or did I misunderstand?
I'm surprised this firm doesn't get more recognition here in the States.

Yes, especially in this digital world. I'm wondering why some brands are very popular in Japan and almost unknown in the rest of the world. I can imagine this situation without global web in the 80's or even in the 90's, but in 2021 it's strange.