Stratospheric audio gear prices

The more time I have under my belt pursuing quality audio, the more I realize that high audio gear prices have some basis in their quality. Yet there is a limit. When you buy a Ferrari the cost is high, but you can see the money involved in the design and parts. Many would argue that high quality audio gear is similar to the quality and design of a hyper-car. But when you look a the sheer quantity an complexity of this kind of car, there is no piece of audio gear that compares. To me, a piece of audio gear that costs as much as even an inexpensive car is just a manufacturer cashing in because they can. Can you imagine what audio manufacturers would want to charge for a piece of audio gear that was the size and weight of a car? Like $100 million.  I believe it just drives the whole market up and we end up getting a little bit suckered. This is all perhaps a little overstated. I guess I just want to shame audio manufacturers. I do understand that they are not charities, or here for the betterment of mankind. If you are not frustrated by this, good for you.  Here is a quote from a book about marketing. The reference is a victim of link rot. Nevertheless it has common information. 

"Premium Pricing

Premium pricing is the practice of keeping the price of a product or service artificially high in order to encourage favorable perceptions among buyers, based solely on the price. The practice is intended to exploit the (not necessarily justifiable) tendency for buyers to assume that expensive items enjoy an exceptional reputation or represent exceptional quality and distinction . A premium pricing strategy involves setting the price of a product higher than similar products . This strategy is sometimes also called skim pricing because it is an attempt to "skim the cream" off the top of the market. It is used to maximize profit in areas where customers are happy to pay more, where there are no substitutes for the product, where there are barriers to entering the market, or when the seller cannot save on costs by producing at a high volume. It is also called image pricing or prestige pricing.

Luxury has a psychological association with price premium pricing. The implication for marketing is that consumers are willing to pay more for certain goods and not for others. To the marketer, it means creating a brand equity or value for which the consumer is willing to pay extra. Marketers view luxury as the main factor differentiating a brand in a product category."

Source: Boundless. “Market Share.” Boundless Business Boundless, 26 May. 2016. Retrieved 07 Feb. 2017 from https://www.boundless.com/business/textbooks/boundless-business-textbook/product-and-pricing-strateg...

ericrt
Yeah, it can’t possibly have anything to do with the fact we have printed as much money in the last two years as the whole history of the United States going back to Plymouth Rock, and are now at a rate of a trillion dollars a year. Printing a trillion dollars from nothing, what could go wrong?
Inflation, budget deficits, the national debt skyrocketing unmnageably .....Canada and Europe, here we come!
To me, a piece of audio gear that costs as much as even an inexpensive car is just a manufacturer cashing in because they can.

Wouldn't you?Whatever you make, sell, service?I just got back from lunch at I-Hop where I had one cup of decaf (no pots anymore) for $3.50. I was offered a fill up.
If I offered you ten or twenty times what you're selling is worth, what would you do? Then follow that up the supply chain and see where it puts you.
Welcome to late-stage capitalism!

High-end audio pricing completely makes sense from a macroeconomic standpoint. Due to shifts in income distribution in the past 50 years, fewer people can afford mid-priced audio gear, but a small number of individuals can afford more than ever. So a small manufacturer of no-compromise audio gear might not even get much if any increase in their sales volume if they lower their price (Say from $10k to $5k).