Received a Bill for State Tax on An Amp Bought in Canada Last Year

Wow! The envelope said “Dept of Revenue” so I figured it may be my car tags due. I opened the envelope to find a statement that I owed $665 for “use tax” on an amp I bought last year in June.  Shocked is an understatement. Yes, I bought a used amp from a guy in Canada through A’gon. But I paid the tariff on it. Now they also want tax.  However, the amount they are basing it on is over double what I paid for the amp. But had to send it to Don Sachs for repair a few months later. So I wonder if they are seeing that as a separate purchase rather than a repair. They even charged me $43 interest which is more ridiculous IMO.
So the question...Are you required  to pay tax on a used amp or other used  items? Has anyone else encountered this? Yes, I know the states are cracking down on the sales tax. But on used items? Wow

128x128artemus_5
Post removed 
Tax is usually based of a dollar amount you paid. Like 3% 6% etc. Do you have the original bill? Can't you argue that it should, if anything, be x amount?
I’ve lived in California for 82 of my 83 years, so I think I have a handle on the problem.

Here is why California is billions of dollars upside down in its unfunded liabilities: The public employee unions donate huge sums of cash to the campaign coffers of Democrat candidates for the state legislature. Once elected, those same politicians do the bidding of the public employee unions. On the side, they try to run the state.

According to the California Policy Center, California’s total debt liability stands at 1.5 trillion dollars.

https://californiapolicycenter.org/californias-state-and-local-liabilities-total-1-5-trillion-2/

To gain a real insight into the problem, go to this site:

www.transparentcalifornia.com

Here, you will find the salaries and perks for every government employee in the state including city, county, and state employees. If you want to gain insight into why sending your child to a university is so expensive, check out the salaries being paid through the University of California system.

Prepare to be shocked ... shocked, I tells ya.

Frank
@ earlflynn

Wow what state?
None of the ones you mention. Bet you will be surprised. Give you a clue. They have no state income tax. So instead of that they come after retired people who buy used stuff. OK Its Tennessee. 9.75% sales tax. I suppose it is a fair system but it took me many years to get used to paying a nearly10% tax on every item purchased except a RX. They/we are doing alight with that system.

Do you have the original bill?

@rsf507 It was used so I have no receipt but I did pay via PayPal. So I should be alright. And I do have the receipt for the repair.

@oregonpapa Nice links. Many if not most have no idea how much total taxes they pay. We have become conditioned to pay it. I can’t remember the site which tells you how long you must work to pay your full tax burden but many years it on into middle of May. And this is the average American. Some pay 55-60-% of their income. The founders fought a war over 3% (I believe) We get used to it because we are conditioned to do so . We call it "break in" on our new equipment & tubes.
Oh yeah, There goes my new set of tubes. Oh well. the coffers (slush fund) needs more $$$
It’s like trying to give a cop a ticket for Reckless Driving. AFTER they drove through 5 stop signs, didn’t use a turn signal for 12 turns AND then parked on the wrong side of the road, while STARING at their center console. NEVER once noticing EVERY citizen in the country HURDING their vehicle the same exact way..

EXAMPLE being, when people SEE people in authority ABUSE their authority, you get what you LET HAPPEN..

How many people are still doing time behind CANNABIS that were arrested by some drunkin’ A$$ who will probably go home and abuse someone else..

The good PEOPLE get corrupted by SO MANY cowardly actions and cowardly laws. VICE law enforcement is a haven for corrupt PEOPLE..
You regulate VICE, period, with reasonable taxes, SAEFTY and a HARM reduction policy to the citizen. NOT TO MAKE money.. To pay for itself..
NOT 100,000 corrupt people working VICE carrying a badge and a gun, calling themselves COPS. They are NOT, They are perverts, though..

Double tappers!! BY BY.. No more of the type of training.. You get to shoot when you have been shot at.. ONLY.. I thought I saw a ????
too BAD!! Get behind something, protect yourself.. STUPID! Just like every other citizen does with any sense.. YOU get to shoot at someone when they shoot AT YOU. NOT WITH A cell phone.

10,000 times now I’ve heard "I THOUGH...BANG"!! Not Bang, now I know to shoot back from BEHIND my car. You know like in the movies.. HARRY!! Well he might not have hidden to many times.. BUT usually he got shot at at least.. Didn't he have a jar with spent lead or something..

Catch a rapist, murder or THIEVES burning down towns...
A thief will KILL, there is NO DIFFERENCE.

In other words, DO THE HARD THING, NOT THE EASY and the GOOD citizens LIKE me will back you till the day I move on to TAX FREE HEAVEN.. Everything is already paid for.. no debt.. NO CREDIT..

Song and dance 24/7/>>>>>>

Once you tackle the hard issues the easy will fall into place.. LIKE learning a vehicle is far more likely to KILL someone than a gun..

NOW put the TWO together with a badge staring at a center console, PICKING up on local PD gossip, as they drive by TENTS and BBQ pits all over the town they are sworn to PROTECT.. TOWNS not county land or private land but in TOWNS..

The old way was simple. You don’t own property here, you don’t rent here, you don’t stay here. YOU stay on county land or camping areas, like the the friggin hobos did for the last 250 years.

I don’t care that people don’t have homes or want to work.. Go do it somewhere ELSE.. I have work for 3 WEEKS at my house, can’t find a BUM to help..

They actually use to knock on the door for work.. I NEVER turned one down. NOW they just look in my garbage can, while pushing a 1000.00 usd Lucky’s push cart.. My how thing have changed.. They use to arrest people for stealing shopping carts.. Grand Theft. NOW!! I’ve seen 10 in a CONVOY for God sakes.. They just need CB and a call sign.. OPS! They have Cell Phones..

CRAP!! Got my Tourette’s kickin’