Small form factor, budget DACs?

I'm trying to restore the musicality to my system, piece by piece. A few years ago my Jolida JD-602A CD player finally died and I've never really found a good replacement. I think really I've been mourning the loss and lacked the funds to get something of equal quality (since it was sort of a giant killer).

So, what can I get for < $400? Used is fine, but it has to be a compact form factor - I don't have room for another full-sized component. I think the 1/2 size form factor that Channel Islands, Musical Fidelity and Creek use is about as big as I could go.

24/96 is a plus since I have a bit of DVD-A stuff but not a necessity. I don't really have an opinion for or against oversampling, or regarding filterless DACs.

Here are the DACs that have popped up in my search so far:

$175 - Lite Audio filterless DAC
$250-400 - Ack! Dac
$200? - Creek OBH-14 - I'd have gotten one by now but I have yet to see one pop up on the used market. Probably a good sign.
$300-400? - Musical Fidelity X-24K - older DAC (circa 2000), but it looks nice and let's me stay with the appealing X-component form factor (I have an X-ACT and X-LPS now). Maybe a little overpriced - I can't help but think that for that money I could get something better
$400-600 - Channel Islands DAC - undoubtedly the best DAC on the list, but also the most expensive, so it would take the longest for me to save up the coinage.

Anything I'm missing from the list?
hudsonhawk
Bombaywalla,
Thanks for the little review...good stuff! Nice to hear the SN DAC did well against the heavy hitting Wadia. It's funny what sorts of things run through your mind when comparing units of such wide price differences. You kind of hope the expensive unit comes out on top. Especially if you paid for it with your cash.LOL $150 DAC against a $9000 unit ... yeap diminishing returns is a mother.

I wish I lived closer I would love to bring my DAC over for a comparison. If nothing else it would be fun.

Glad you can put your mind to ease a little.

All the best,
So, for those curious, I received my modded Dac-Ah and broke it in. All I have to say is, people aren't kidding when they talk this thing up. This is a genuinely musical, dynamic piece. It has a sweet, smooth midrange which does vocals exceptionally well; the imaging is "3-d" in a way I've only heard on higher-end pieces.

It's funny, I made a similar note when listening that Bombaywalla did while listening to his Nixon DAC - bad CD's sound *bad*. I've got two theories about this - I wonder if either these CD's have digital noise that's actually in the master, or these DACs are particularly jitter-prone.

Obviously I can't compare it to the unmodded version of the DAC, but I can definitely say that these things are the genuine article. It's the most impressed I've been with a piece of budget digital gear since the original Rega Planet.
I’ve got to chime in here. I’ve owned an Audio Mirror for a number of months and have experienced what everyone is talking about regarding NOS DAC’s. I couldn’t be happier with mine.

One of my biggest frustrations is this crazy hobby is a bad sounding CD. I’ve got tons of them that until recently, only listening to them in the office or car.

I just made a huge switch changing over from a Marantz SA14 SACD player which was mostly used as a redbook transport with the Audio Mirror to a digital music server which is PC based.

I ripped all my CD’s to AIFF files in iTunes and used a product by Roku to bridge the signal from my PC to the Audio Mirror DAC.

End result is improved sound on all CD’s but a major improvement on poor engineered CD’s. Yeap, I can listen to them all now. I think it’s all about error correction. A CD transport can only do so much. Near perfect CD error correction for today PC is a simple process for them.
>> 04-02-06: Hudsonhawk
>> It's funny, I made a similar note when listening that
>> Bombaywalla did while listening to his Nixon DAC - bad
>> CD's sound *bad*. I've got two theories about this - I
>> wonder if either these CD's have digital noise that's
>> actually in the master, or these DACs are particularly
>> jitter-prone.
good to read that someone else also experienced the same on badly recorded/pressed CDs! when I was writing my response post to Undertow, exactly the same thought crossed my mind. These non oversampling DACs use a Crystal Semi 8412 or 8414 I.C. that uses a PLL to extract & lock onto the CDP clock. This is much different than most other hi-end systems that lock the CDP to the DAC clock, which is a more stable/less jitter clock. If these badly recorded CDs must have lots of noise in them, it *could* push the PLL to edges of its lock range, which could have the same effect as high jitter.

>> 04-02-06: Islandflyfisher
>> I think it’s all about error correction. A CD transport
>> can only do so much. Near perfect CD error correction
>> for today PC is a simple process for them.
sorry to burst your bubble, dude, but it's not all about error correction!
In another A'gon thread we've have been thru this - even the most economical CDPs & DVD players have good enough laser pick-ups systems to read the CD w/ near-100% accuracy. The error correction you are talking about are CRC & Reed-Solomon type error correction codes used to correct bits as they are read off the CD. Error correction is generally not used elsewhere in the CD/DVD player.

What is probably happening in your case (w/ the PC server) is that you are lending credence to Hudsonhawk's theory of these non OS DACs being jitter prone. It is well-known fact that ripping a CD to one's hard-drive before burning it to CD-R or playing it back on one's stereo is a good method to reduce jitter - the hard-drive dumps the data to a FIFO & the sound-card reads it using a much more stable clock.
Good for you Hudsonhawk! Glad to see the NON OS DAC working out for you.

Good listening!